Brit carrier deck

Thanks DC, apparently it's just AOhell that's caching the posts.
The Keeper (of too much crap!)
Reply to
Keeper
i found them very helpfull for modeling. the lancaster and wellington books are little gems. and the 109, 190, etc.
And snipped-for-privacy@aol.comedy (Keeper) opened up and revealed to the world news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m07.aol.com:
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
And Mad-Modeller opened up and revealed to the world news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com:
Bill,
So far I've been lucky (IF one is EVER lucky in dealing with trolls) in that the trolls that I've delt with they haven't changed names too much.
There have been a couple of trolls over at rec.nude that have changed their names. And even though XNews "recommends" setting the experation date of a person in ones killfile to a 100 day. That's the defualt setting for XNews, but I prefer to set it to 0, which means that it won't "expire." I'm working on the thought/belife that a troll who is trying to get attention may eventually go back to an old "screen name."
My way IF the troll does that I don't have re-add 'em, and let it expire after another 100 days. . .
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
I tried killfiling this joker but he used so many variations that it was like trying to stop a Borg. That's partly why he raised ire in so many people. You're quite correct with b) with that one. It got so that I was tired of hearing from the 'regulars' because they just couldn't leave this snake alone. It's sad because it was a good place to see some of those famous "French Postcards" that we used to hear of.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
There are several chapters on S. E. Morison's epic work on the operations of the British Pacific Fleet, specifically the carrier group. Edwyn Gray wrote a book titled Operation Pacific, that if memory serves is about the same subject. Mind you I have not read it and it is unfortunately in a box in storage right now. If you are really into it you could also try the relevant volume of Roskill's War at Sea, the HMSO Official history of British Naval operation in WWII.
If you want to get into things other than Naval Combat in the PTO (as opposed to CBI) there is not all that much British stuff, but plenty of Austrailian and New Zealander material available. If it is of interest I could put together a list in a day or two.
Hope this helps,
Roman
Reply to
Roman & Wendy
morison's book really covers it well for a survey. would love to find the gray book.
Sort of like trying to find a kill file that will block all this unreadable "chop-suey" originating in China! They must be idiots not to realize we can't read their garbage.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
Morison is really an excellent read, but the one thing that you have to keep in mind is that he started writing it in 1944, and did not fininsh wntil some time in the 1960s. consequently there are some major omissions in the work.. for example there is no mention of the Polish/British breaking of the German Enigma codes. this was not declassified until Winterbotham wrote his book in 1978.
The Gray book was published by Leo Cooper in the UK and the US Naval Institute in the US, both in 1990. It is currently out of print, but
has a number of copies available ($15.00-$50.00.)
Reply to
Roman & Wendy
i will have to try and get an inter library loan. the holidays and related stuff left me kinda destitute. "i'm not a destitute, i've never taken money for it" -kelly bundy
And "William H. Shuey" opened up and revealed to the world news: snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net:
Bill,
That and all of the "Negerian" scams, "promising" to split "millions" of "abandoned" dollars. . .
I'd gotten one with an "interesting" twist to it. It seems that the "decased" and myself had the same last name, and asked "IF" I'd be willing to present myself as the "next of kin."
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
i'm surprised they don't ask you to tatoo sucker on your forehead for id purposes....them kind of crooks should be terminated with prejudice. the world would be better.
And snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) opened up and revealed to the world news:h5IFd.725737$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:
e,
I'd be MORE then happy to provide the dull rusty spoon to castrate them with BEFORE they're terminated.
One would think that their government would do SOMETHING about all of the scams. That is UNLESS they're getting a cut. . .
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Site Timeline