Gato 1:1

If your looking for a fine reference for the new R/M Gato sub kit, then plan on making a trip to Manitowoc, Wisconsin (Where many were built) to visit the Maritime Museum and tour the USS Cobia.

For a guy who does aircraft, this is one sea vessel I'm going to have to build.

Reply to
Hawkeye

Another well preserved Gato sub is located in downtown Cleveland, Ohio.

The U.S.S. Cod is anchored on the shore of Lake Erie on the northside of downtown Cleveland

The Cod is a really well preserved boat with an interesting history including the sinking of a Dutch submarine.

Anchored close by is the William G. Mather Great Lakes ore carrier steamship

Also within a short walking distance from the U.S.S. Cod is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
the Great Lakes Science Center
and Burke Lakefront Airport with a stunning display of a Blue Angels F-4J and Thunderbirds F-4E Phantom II together
Who says there's nothing to do in Cleveland? ;^)

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

People in Cleveland? I hear that all the time from my cousins who live there. Maybe that is why they spend so much time on their boat out in Lake Erie.

Reply to
Hawkeye

am old radio buddy lives there and we never do all the stuff planned. there just isn't time. and restuarnts! i doulf spend a week on the waterfront just looking at boats. cleveland rocks and floats.

For a Gato class sub in a warmer climate =] ... everyone should check out the U.S.S. Drum at:

Very sad though all the damage the aircraft at this museum sustained during the Hurricane last year. I don't think there was one aircraft that wasn't damaged in some shape or form. Even the U.S.S. Alabama was pushed over a bit. They have the ship righted again and the Drum sustained no damage at all. ( It has plenty of rust problems after sitting in the Gulf all those years though ) Really cool...you can go down inside through the whole sub. Man....those Gato class subs are really BIG. Even when you compare it in size to the Battleship...it's still pretty dang big.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

Hi.

There is also the USS Torsk at Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Also walk through tours, with group sleepover tours available. And you are right, I am 6'2", my son's 6'2" and my brother

6'9" tall, and we all fit easily. Tho remember in real life, EVERY square inch of free space would have been taken by weapons/supplies/food and people etc.

Still impressive, and IMHO very advanced for it's era. Even compared to the deeper diving U boats.

AM

Excuse me, the Torsk is a Tench class fleet submarine.

Sorry.

Reply to
AM

Drum is a pretty bad reference because of all the mods she got postwar.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Reply to
Ron Smith