K7 Space Station AMT Star Trek Kit - Terrible Seams

This old kit is causing problems. The three sections that attach to the main hub consist of three long cylinders. Not a snowball's chance
these pieces will ever line up straight enough to offer fixable seams.
Anyone start this kit? I was considering cutting them off and finding some kind of cheap, light replacement tubing and go for there.
The three sections are around 6 inches long. Ideas as to what medium would work? Dowels would be the easiest but not sure if I could hide the wood grain.
thx - Craig

Did it years ago. Can you replicate the tubing with PVC water pipe from the local hardware store? The ones around here usually have smaller stubs for sale.

that would work. dang, another reason to go to a hardware store. :) there is a garden irrigation store nearby too. someone should have a 1/2 inch? pipe.
any special primer needed for pvc?
Craig

I'd say to sand it lightly overall and prime it with a good flat white primer or even a Krylon primer.
Or you might check our an acrylic/plexiglass fabricator to see if they carry rods in the needed size....

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:51:15 -0800 (PST), The Old Man

Also: Plastic electrical conduit piping? 1"OD. Might be a little heavy?
rfranklin wrote:

That's a point: if the tubes are held by the holes in the center section, you're definitely looking at a case of "droop-itus." I'm picturing a nut & bolt clamping together two disks of hard plastic with the tubes sandwiched inbetween to keep them oriented with respect to up/down. (You can depend on the holes to keep them oriented 120 degrees horizontally.)
--
-Jack

thx for that tip! will find some way to make the three tubes a single unit before joining the center section.
Craig
On 12/23/2010 7:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ripnet.com wrote:

Weighs nothing in deep space.
PD