Looking for a reference

I am thinking of doing a 1/72 scale dio invovling PanzerGrenaders in the assault. A combination of 251s and Stugs, Jagds or gun tanks. I realize it will be somewhat compressed (I've already done the math of a 100 yard front in

1/72).

What I need is something that talks about actual tactics of a German combined arms assault, something like a platoon level scenario.

Do the /1s go in first to suppress the infantry and anti tank teams and the /10s and /9s hang back to give fire support? If there is a /16 where does he fit in? Or do the tanks go in first to flush the infantry and look for tanks? Or is it situational depending on expected resistance?

I have a few Tigers, but I'm getting the impression from what i've read so far that they would not neccessarily be working with PanzerGrenadiers, more likley Panthers, Pz Ivs or Stugs or some scratch combination, with the Tigers held in reserve.

Period is Normandy '44 soemthing along the lines of the assault in Band of Brothers, but more likely against the Brits if I'm going to use the Tigers.

I have a fair amount of material already, but nothing really talks about the tactical deployments in sufficient detail on a company or smaller scale.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

It's not my area of expertise, but this chapter from a U.S. War Department handbook sounds like it has some of the info you're looking for.

Regards, Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Currell

snipped-for-privacy@currell.net (Ralph Currell) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: