New Airfix kits for 2008

I have a His-Air-Dec News with a picture of Bob Mikesh's model of one. I'm guessing he started with the Revell 1/85th kit but if someone knows better, tell us, please.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Heh, it's been quite some time since any work was done to either. You're not behind, you're gaining on me.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Nice, whatever it is it doesn't show up here. Guess I'll have to google a bit.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I still remember my old Hawk Swift kit. The plane didn't look quite right, and it didn't fly quite right either.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

what? i have 10 more started kits than you? that's progress.

Reply to
someone

It was supposed to be a real pain-in-the-rear to build; they had one in Scale Modeler way-way back.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Those struts weren't the right length.

Yeah, that's the one...it was used as a training glider:

boring aircraft to make a model of.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Pretty boring aircraft to make a model of.

Yeah, you can't make real motor noises whilst flying it around your workbench.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr. ;)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

So, your collection numbers about 400 half-built models? I guess I should start more of what I have. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

But it's necessary to have one so the progression from Spitfire to Scimitar is readily seen. I built one of those a few years back and did it up a little better than the first one I had in the '60s. I filled in all those markings in the plastic and used Humbrols and Modeldecal markings. IIRC, it's still about 96% finished - and holding.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

after yesterday, 401. get crackin'.

Reply to
someone

The vertical fin looks too small, and I suspect they made the same mistake we did originally on the F-100 in regards to vertical fin area needed on aircraft flying at near-sonic and supersonic speeds.

I can only vaguely remember what my Hawk one was like... did it have landing gear? I always remember all the underwing rockets on their F-84 Thunderstreak kit.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

So, in other words, more of the same.

Reply to
Kimo Elliott

Yes, LG were present on mine but the wells were just marked out on the plastic. There were 4 small bombs to hang under the wings, too.

The early Airfix Hunter had 48 RPs to hang underwing, IIRC. I've never seen a picture of a real one carrying such a load.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller