OT - DAMN...I just bought another guitar...case...

...as we remember last time, I went completely off and snapped up what turned out to be a mint 1994 100th Anniversary Gibson EDS 1275 doubleneck. Well, UPS managed to buger up the original brown case in shipping (without harming the axe - someone tampered with the lock on the case).

As a replacement I was able to get a mint genuine new-old stock 100th Anniversary case from Gibson. Which showed up today. Black leather, with a royal blue plush interior. Really nice...so now the "twins" are really stylin'...

...ok...now back to cutting u-boat holes.

Reply to
Rufus

well crap. I have not bought/rcvd a guitar since christmas....my daughter is hinting that I should buy her a baritone saxophone....just around $3800.....

she is getting expensive a few years before I planned...

Craig

Reply to
crw59

$3800? don't tell me that's for plastic? for that jind of moola it should be silver. that seems ridiculous. have you checked pawn shops? i see a lot of brass. but there almost always tenors, sometimes an alto. well, baritones are pretty big. $3800, damn!

...hmmmnn...I've never tried out a baritone guitar...maybe I should look for one...a National...

Got my eye on the coming Danelectro reissues...and Rick 620...

Reply to
Rufus

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote in news:b0xyh.17230$ snipped-for-privacy@fe08.news.easynews.com:

Decent instruments aren't cheap. I just paid $3500 for a good new fiddle completely handmade from best Bulgarian tonewoods. The composite bow alone cost me $800 more. Non-musicians are always shocked at the prices of good, quality instruments.

Reply to
fiddler

I got a serious deal on the "twins"...

Interesting...a composite bow? I assume it's still strung with horse hair, though? How about composite instruments - I'd assume they wouldn't be that popular, but are they out there?

Reply to
Rufus

Rufus wrote in news:lCQyh.263397$aJ.201774@attbi_s21:

It's carbon graphite with white Mongolian horse hair.

I have the JonPaul Avanti violin bow for $795. The Maestro at $1995 was out of my price range and more bow that I needed anyway.

Electric violins are often made mostly of composite materials. I believe both Fender and Yamaha make some.

Reply to
fiddler

Rufus, So when should we expect your concert tour to be performing in Austin, TX?

Twang (that's guitarish for Cheers)

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Rufus wrote in news:lCQyh.263397$aJ.201774@attbi_s21:

Here's something that will shock a guitar player:

Good violin strings cost $60-80 for a set of four! I was used to paying $6 a set for good Fender electric guitar strings which lost much of their tone after just a few weeks. Then I got a fiddle and everything was extremely expensive for it. The composite strings do last a good three months of hard playing though so I guess the cost evens out somewhat in the long run.

Reply to
fiddler

I've seen the electric ones...always thought they'd be made of similar woods to electric guitars. I think I prefer the sound of a straight acoustic instrument, and then in small numbers - like a quartet; same tastes for jazz. I used to play the viola when I was very young...have no idea now how I did it. Shame I lost the skill, as I've become somewhat of a fan of Yo Yo Ma. I tend to like his solo recordings...and Bach organwerkes - Michael Murray on Telarc was what finally convinced me I needed a CD player...

My '06 Telecaster has a tiger maple neck on it, which I've yet to see another one like. The stripes are beginning to stand out more as it I leave it out of it's case.

Reply to
Rufus

...if I ever get good enough to play in Austin, I WILL quit my day job.

Reply to
Rufus

I can believe that...especially with all the cat-lover/huggers out there these days. Premium cat-gut must be getting increasingly hard to come by...

Price of guitar picks seems to be up higher than I'd expect...I paid $5+ for the last pack of Fender picks I bought. Either I got ripped off, or that's a rip-off.

Reply to
Rufus

Have you seen all the PE available for that U Boat. Check out:

You may have to sell all those guitars or float a mortgage to get all these goodies (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Now THIS is a useful link...but...what, no brass propellers?..

So far I have and am using the Yankee Modelworks upper pressure hull kit (seems I got the last two of them from Squadron...), the Hoshinya turned aluminum periscope and gun barrels (seems I got lucky in grabbing those before they went OOP...), and the Eduard etch set. If I ever do another one, I'll probably opt for the Modelbrass set, though.

AND - I'm saving a TON of guitar money by cutting out all those limber and flood holes myself...even if I do end up a lunatic afterwards...

Reply to
Rufus