OT: Language program on US TV

in article snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com, Mad-Modeller at snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com wrote on 3/1/05 9:54:

Sounds like the type of program that the local station did about the Bristol ( Somerset or Avon UK, keep changing the boundries) language called Coret Brisol or in English Correct Bristol!

Reply to
Rory Manton

Sometime this week (Wednesday night here) PBS will run a program titled "Do You Speak American?". I thought it might appeal to some here.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I saw one a few nights ago on PBS called "Shaom, Y'all" - a documentary on the history of Jewish asimilation/aculturation in the deep south vs northern cities and urban areas.

Interesting, and not what I might have expected...

Reply to
Rufus

An old friend of mine once told me how he was wounded during the "Battle of the Bulge". After being cut off and going through some strange mis-adventures he and a group of GI's finally managed to find the allied lines. Unfortunately it was night and they had blundered into the British portion of the lines. In the confusion George got bayoneted in the face. Seems "the #@$*&^% Welsh don't understand English any better than the Germans".

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Is it very much different than English, like say Welsh? Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m28.aol.com, Keeper at snipped-for-privacy@aol.comedy wrote on 10/1/05 20:21:

Did you ever get a UK tv program called Alfvidersain, Pet, or however the German for goodbye is spelt). One of the caricters is Bomber ( The late , great Pat Roach 1939-2004) he has a "mild" form of the accent.

Rory Manton

It's Not Pink It's Telemagenta

Reply to
Rory Manton

"Auf wiedersehen" is the way I was taught but your phonetic spelling isn't a bad guess. I never caught that program on our TV but I remember reading a book on the language subject and I remember the attempt at explaining a Yorkshire accent. I'd have to have had many tries at understanding it. However, when I met the guy who was my best man it took me sometime to understand him. He was a Cherokee from North Carolina and a descendant of one of the groups who hid in the mountains when all Cherokees were shoved west by our government in the 1820s.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Let me guess, it's about as comprehensible as Cockney?

Reply to
Ron

no one in Australia can understand my mother, she is from Oldham, Lancashire.

Tim Brimelow

Reply to
tim brimelow