OT: Rwy Query

I have a question about British rolling stock. I have a 4-wheel boxcar/goods wagon that I repainted and I'm at a loss to know what type of information might be painted on a car of this type. Does British Rail post vehicle weights and capacities on the car sides?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Ferd Berfel

What era are you modelling?

Certainly all the goods stock I have seen have had some sort of registration\serial number, ownership and weight details. The format varies from just being painted on the side to a more formal information plate.

I suspect this is because goods rolling stock is often not owned by the railway company but by the contractor or company whose goods are being shipped.

Cheers,

Nigel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4738 (20100102) __________

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>

Nigel is correct - not sure which site would answer things but most of the data I've seen on GWR cars lists their tare weight in tons and hundredweights (112 lbs each). They are not like US ones so you will have to check.

Try a general search in Google or another search engine, as it will turn up some useful sites.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

I'm going to say 50s-'60s.

from just being painted on the side to a more formal information plate.

So the railways own less stock than the private owners? My car doesn't have to be too accurate as I'm fixing it up for my grandson to add to his Thomas set but I always enjoy learning stuff.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Thanks Cookie.