Ques about Tamiya paint

Have some US WWII armor on the bench and was planning on using Tamiya OD XF-

62 since it seems according to those who know to be the best OOTB.

Last time I used Tamiya I shot it through my airbrush and it was very nice. I'm brushing some on smaller parts (and a different color on a 1/72 kit) and it seems OK, but hand brushing larger surfaces not so much.

Does Tami just shoot better or is there a good trick to hand brushing. I used WW fluid to cut it for the airbrush, using it straight from the bottle with a little water for brushing.

Frank, who is having one of his periodic identity changes in a quest for a snappier persona.

Reply to
Harry Callahan

I have a big problem painting PST ISU-152 - Tamyia paint has problems covering it's plastic. Using Tamiya thinner helped a bit but it seems to damage previous paint layers! I have to be very careful putting levels of wash but it can be done.

Strange isn't it?

Other models (Revell) painted with Tamyia produced no problems. I have noticed that I could't wash using water diluted paint - it just did not stick to the surface and would dry very ugly. Adding dishwasher liquid helped a bit but not enough. So i keep using tamiya thinner - and I am extra careful on PST plastic :)

Maciek

Reply to
Maciek

I love Tamiya paint through an airbrush, but I've never had much luck brush painting it.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

"Art Murray" wrote in news:ARQag.47669$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews2.bellsouth.net:

I went out and bought the large bottle of thinner and a couple of more bottles of XF-62. I think I'm going to try and finish up some US WWII kits, shoot as much as possible. The one time I airbrushed it it was nice. Having thinned it and brushed one coat over primer it seems OK but a second coat is really needed.

Reply to
Harry Callahan

I have been haveing decent sucess using rubbing alcohol with Tamiya when nand brushing, but it dries real fast. Mixes well with MM Acryl too. For airbrushing I often use windex type products, but want to get some of thier own thinner when I get a chance. It tends to clog too easily in my current situation.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

BTW Polly Scale is my choice for brush painting.

Reply to
Art Murray

"Art Murray" wrote in news:Butbg.21901$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

Yeah, that is good stuff, I always like the smaell, too.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Frank,

I thought we weaned you off smelling your glues, putties, thinners and paints years ago! :-)

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

"Art Murray" wrote in news:izNbg.77641$Jk3.1813 @bignews5.bellsouth.net:

Polly Scale is one of those smells that I remember from my young 'ub days of modeling. That and tube glue.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmpactrammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Shoulda smelled the fine vintages of the '50s! Young'uns don't know what they've missed.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr. ;)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote in news:OZRbg.166438$ snipped-for-privacy@fe09.news.easynews.com:

Funny thing. I used to have all my modeling stuff in my room as a kid and a teen. I remember working on stuff even in the winter, probably had the window down to keep the heat in. Pactra, Testors tube glue, Hombrol, Polly Scale, etc thinner and brush cleaner. it was quite a fog, I can still get a real good image if I open the right bottle in my newer, better ventilated work area.

Man it makes you wonder... maybe it's like all the hooch and smoke from somewhat later days, it killed brain cells, but only the weak ones. The few that remained were the strong ones.

Could explain quite a bit.

Eesh! Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

It might explain why about 1955 or so (shortly after taking up models) I decided that if Superman could dive through a glass door, then so could I ! It may be that the glue fumes had the same effect upon me as Kryptonite upon Superman, making me vulnerable to glass and causing me to bleed like a stuck pig after I got a running start and made my maiden headfirst flight. Mom played her role flawlessly by screaming hysterically as the women did on the show. My older brother made a great Jimmy Olsen, laughing uncontrollably. And Dad did his Perry White best by asking calmly, "What did you do that for?"

Art

BTW does anyone else play "White Rabbit" while mixing paints?

Reply to
Art Murray

nope, sensoria by cabaret voltaire.

No, but I can relate... my ex and I decided (this is quite a few years ago) to have a train go around the Christmas tree, and on buying the train set, found that they had all these plastic kits of houses and water towers etc.. so we bought a bunch of them.

Well we spent that vacation gluing the houses together while the Carpenters' christmas carols played over and over on the CD player.

To this day (now what.... 14 years later) the smell of Testor's liquid glue conjures up the Carpenters in my head. Not exactly Jefferson Airplane!! Grins...

---- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

No doubt when looking over the pile of unbuilt houses the player came on with "We've Only Just Begun."

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller