Securing Clear Parts

In the past I've used good old Elmer's glue to secure clear plastic
parts like canopies and such. Currently I'm working on a B-9 Robot kit
from the original "Lost in Space" and his head is a 2 piece clear dome.
I could use Elmer's again but it just isn't that strong of a bond and I
don't want to have to keep re attaching it every time I dust the darn
thing. Anyone have any suggestions on what might work better than
Elmer's for gluing clear parts?
-Dave
Reply to
dbpbandit
I've had good luck with dipping the clear parts in Future®, then applying tiny drops of super glue with a toothpick. Then I immediately place the parts in front of a fan. An example would be having the air flow into an open section of the fuselage. The combination of the Future® coating and air circulation keeps the fumes from fogging the parts.
On the other hand I had an Zaku II Gundam model that required two clear parts to seal together like your dilemma. I made sure the CA drops were on the outside edges of the part. Any that might have crept inside would not get the air circulation and I did not want to test the ability of the Future® by itself. Worked fine with a lot of care.
TMB
Reply to
TMB
Spread a very thin film of epoxy on a piece of glass and press the rim of one part into it, then assemble.
Reply to
rwsmithjr
OK, these solution sounds interesting, but I have to admit, I have no idea what Future=AE does for clear parts?.?.? I have heard of people using it, but what exactly is the purpose? Also, I have never worked with epoxy, what kind should I use and where can I get it? Hardware store, Wal-Mart, Craft store? Thanks for the information, this is great stuff.....=20
-Dave
Reply to
dbpbandit
This *really* should be in the FAQ:

Greg Heilers
Along with this one too...
Martin
Reply to
centennialofflight
Epoxy from the hobby shop, NHP brand. 5 or 12 minute will work fine.
Reply to
rwsmithjr
White glue is indeed not a very good bond. Thus,the parts must fit together extremely well. See if you can improve the fit by filing or reshaping any of the parts that seat together.
Also, I keep microglaze stuff around both for creating small windows, and for gluing transparencies. Yeah, I know it is just white glue, but somehow it seems to hold a little bit tighter than regular white glue.
Reply to
Don Stauffer
Testors made, not sure if they still do, what they called Clear Parts cement and Window Maker. It comes in a white Triangular tube. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby, but I haven't used it yet, so I don't know how well it works. There aren't very many windows in armor models.
Reply to
Jim
Years ago, I bought 'watch crystal cement' from Micro Mark. It sounded like a good product but I've never used it. After "Future-ing" my canopies, I use super glue and have never had a problem with fogging, etc. I still have the watch cement. I'll have to try it someday...
Frank Kranick
Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.
Watch crystal cement - from Micro Mark.
Reply to
Rufus
This is all great information, thanks. I will definitely be getting some Future for clear parts and maybe some Epoxy too. Now if I could just make some time to actually sit down and work on some models.... The kids start school today so hopefully things will start winding down soon and I will get some time....
-Dave
-----
"I used to have a handle on life - but it broke"
Reply to
dbpbandit