Re: Posting 3D cad files to a web site.... question

Are there any options when you are exporting/saving the model as PDF?

300 DPI may be a default setting you can change, something like folder or file options/preference/settings/tools.

Best to ask your VAR or Solid Edge User Group.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

If You're about to post a 3D model as pdf You will need Adobe Acrobat

3D, or else You're just posting a picture from Your 3D model. Acrobat 3D files (pdf) can be viewed in Acrobat reader, but from what I remember while testing, they grew in size quite rapidly. Otherwise as Tick says pdf995 or PdfCreator works like a charm

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

It will not cost you anything to find out.

Free 30 day trial version

$449.00 for licensed version.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

If you are a student. $69.95

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

Remember that nearly all PDF generators function as virtual printers. The PDF is a virtual print (actually a close cousin to a postscript file). Resolution is controlled at the print menu.

Also, postscript and PDF handle font, vector, and raster objects. Resolution setting usually only affects raster portions, and font and vector items retain fidelity, so long as they are not converted to raster blobs.

Reply to
That70sTick

"Krister_L" If You're about to post a 3D model as pdf You will need Adobe Acrobat

3D, or else You're just posting a picture from Your 3D model.

Not sure:

Take a look at Presentation studio (free dl from SW labs): Quote: "You've created the perfect model... Now present it to the world! Generate dynamic 3D PDFs with just a couple of clicks using Presentation Studio."

I think it needs SW09. I never tried it for that reason. If you do (try it), tell us what you think.

HIH JM

Reply to
Jean Marc

Unbelievable ......Had it installed since a while back and totally forgot about it. Well .....didn't play that long with but made a few tests. Seems to not transfer real view graphics....looks a bit plastic. You can spin it around and zoom, lay out predefined views and if I recall it right You could even animate an exploded view, but I never got that one working. Different options in render mode (not photorendering) I'll look into it again. If You're intersted I can send You and example file.

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

Phil

I think You misunderstood this......Presentation Studio works as an addin to SolidWorks. If You wanna produce 3D pdf files from Solid Edge I think You will need Adobe Acrobat 3D which is different from Adobe Acrobat Pro, no matter if it's 8 or 9. Acrobat Pro will only publish ordinary pdf files (pictures). Anyhow....both pdf's from either Presentation Sudio or Acrbat 3D can be viewed in Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is totally free. Solid Works has one other thing though, called

3D Instant Website, which will allow You to upload Your 3D model to a SolidWorks server, where it can be viewed for anyone You want for a period of time.

Maybe SolidEdge has something similar, I know nothing about that.

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

:

Can't really compare as I'm in Sweden and our fees are a lot higher than Yours. I pay $2,140 a year for SW Pro (without pipe and routing)

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

:

Phil

I'm not sure I follow You here.....You say pdf-maker for 3D models, but no option for rotate. What do You get then? Just a pdf-picture from Your model? If that so, try download a 30 day trial version of Adobe Acrobat 3D. It will open 3D cad-files and save them as "rotatable" pdf's.

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L