12 volt power source?

Seconded. Zilog is still out there, pushing souped-up Z80s as embedded controllers. *

Reply to
PV

"Capacity", I think you are referring to Voltage. [Nothing else would make sense.

The 'Regulator" (voltage regulation circuitry of the alternator circuit.) doesn't have anything to do with 'powering accessories and lights', it is only concerned with allowing the necessary current to flow in the 'field windings' to maintain the desired 'output wattage' from the alternator. NOTHING ELSE.

The following exchange shows that you couldn't see the 'forest for the trees' (U.S. idiom) -- I.E. there is no 'Magical Switch' which is why Ray couldn't tell me where to find it.

Sorry Ray, I do know of what you speak of.

I lead a rather circumspect life, so if you exclude the many dead PCs that I have, you would be hard pressed to find more than about a dozen if that many.

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles Davis

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:38:15 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Charles Davis instead replied:

Nope. Highest capacity is right. I don't have to make sense to you.

In a car, it's both a regulator and a switch. Automatic. You don't have to go and look for the On/Off thingie. Ok?

Well, trying to explain how a refrigerator works to a buffalo is just as hard as trying to explain to you how an automotive voltage regulator works. Can't be done. No worries. Even if you knew all about it and I gave you a roadmap, you'd not find it.

Clearly. Don't worry. Tis all magical. Magic is how everything works. Don't break the side of your car battery or the magic will leak out.

Your TV, DVD player, VCR, furnace thermostat, all of your remotes, your stereo, your refrigerator, your DCC encoder, your air conditioner controller . . .

I could go on.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

O.K., You say capacity is the correct term. What is the measurement unit for that capacity?

O.K., What's YOUR definition of a 'switch'? Physical disconnect?, or 'High Impedance but still connected?, or possibly something else?

I won't bother, till you describe something that could possibly be there to find. Ok?

You don't need to explain something that basic! Either the "Old way" (electro-mechanical), or the present day (Self regulated Alternator).

ROFLMAO Good one Ray, you do have a sense of humor after all!!

(1)

Ok, forgot that one (2)

Forgot that one too (3) > furnace thermostat, (4) > all of your remotes, (5) + I forgot one (6)

Please do, since we've now covered all my 'Hi Tech' household possession.

Yeah 15 IS more than a dozen, but still in the ballpark, and I have included some things that probably don't have FPGAs in them.

Maybe we should be sure that I'm understanding your use of FPGA correctly. I understood FPGA to be Field programmable Grid Arrays.

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles Davis

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 10:19:59 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Charles Davis instead replied:

Give it a rest. Go study something else.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On 12/29/2007 7:19 AM Charles Davis spake thus:

Field-programmable *gate* arrays. Dunno what a "grid" would be in this context.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yeah, that does in fact make more sense. I was in fact puzzled at the time, having been thinking FPLAs, and realizing that wasn't what Ray had said. [FPLAs being Field Programmable Logic Arrays -- Useful in prototype electronics, usually being replaced by 'custom chips' for production (consumer) units.]

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles Davis

What's this?? FOG instead of a useful answer?

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles Davis

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:26:57 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Charles Davis instead replied:

It's pretty clear that you have no idea of the subject so why bother. Go pester someone else for a while. I'm truly done with you.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad