12 volt power source?

Ray Haddad wrote:

Well, either (a) one of you is clueless, or perhaps (b) you are just talking about different things.
To me, voltage regulator = something to keep voltage very close to constant, i.e. in a very narrow predetermined range. Is that what either of you are interpreting it to mean?
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 08:36:22 +1100, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
instead replied:

There are many forms of regulation, Eddie. What these folk seem to be using as a qualifier is an IC regulator rather than the more basic forms. If it doesn't have a 78xx, it's not a regulator according to them. In the real world, regulators are much simpler. Especially those in wall cubes. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

I haven't read it that way. I have interpreted them to be saying that there is nothing - whether IC or otherwise - to control the voltage to a narrow range, i.e. nominal voltage +/- some very small deviation, e.g. 110V +- 2V or 12.0V +- 0.2V. Are you saying that there is something, and if so, what?
On 12/22/2007 2:50 PM Eddie Oliver spake thus:

Well, he seems to be saying, judging from his most recent reply to me, that a simple series resistor will do it.
Uhn uh. No way.
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:11:30 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I stated very clearly that even a series resistor is a rudimentary form of regulation. In fact, a series resistor and a Zener diode are all that is required for basic regulation.

You are more ignorant than I gave you credit for. Press on, lad. -- Ray

This whole thing is getting very reVOLTing. <g>
Bill
Ray Haddad wrote:

Perhaps, Ray, you would advance your argument by defining what exactly you mean by 'regulation' (as distinct from filtering or limiting) and state exactly how a resistor and zener diode achieve this.
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 17:52:33 +1100, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
instead replied:

No. I won't. It's basic power supply design. Look it up.
http://www.americanmicrosemi.com/tutorials/zener.htm -- Ray
Eddie Oliver wrote:

A diode for rectification, followed by a series resistor, followed by a zener diode to ground, paralleled with a smoothing capacitor constituted a voltage regulator way back. It's not exactly a high current supply though.
Regards, Greg.P.
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 08:11:37 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

It's still one. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Sure Ray, stop arguing with me when I agree with you! ;-)
Greg.P.

I'm SHOCKED that this subject is still going on. It certainly exceeds my CAPICITOR to understand. Let's let the subject DIODE in peace.
Bill
Ray Haddad wrote:

You give credit for ignorance? - are you a credit card company by any chance? ;-)
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 08:01:08 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Oh, yeah! No credit limits either. No application fees. Post your PIN here and I'll show you. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

But you haven't sent me my "Ray Haddad Gold Credit Card" yet. (or do I only get the "Lead" edition at this stage? ;-)
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:39:13 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

You get a battery of credit cards. -- Ray
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 09:50:19 +1100, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
instead replied:

As I have stated from the very start, the 13.8 volt supplies are chargers, not power supplies. I also stated that SOME, not ALL of the wall transformers contain regulated power supplies inside them. Now along come the two biggest morons on earth who both claim that NONE of them have regulators and it's suddenly my job to prove them wrong. Ask David and Greg for their proof. Get back to me if you get it in your lifetime. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

I may well be an idiot, (I'm answering you afterall) but why is it the "laboratory (style) power supplies" I can buy from electronics chains like Dick Smith and Jaycar are 13.8 volts???
Any automotive battery charger that put out a peak voltage of 13.8 volts would take until eternity to charge a 12 volt car battery to full charge. (assuming a perfect battery with no internal losses or resistance)
Regards, Greg.P.
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 07:59:52 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Because the circuits those things run on are powered by an alternator running at 13.8 volts. The battery in most vehicles is only for starting the vehicle and for running things for a short time when the engine is stopped.

I'd love to read your theory behind this one, Greg. Remember, a 12 volt battery is not a 13.8 volt device. It's a 12 volt device. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

We all know it's only a "nominally" 12 volt device.