12 volt power source?

Ray you are wrong. Very few wallwarts in the US have any kind of regulation.

Reply to
Chuck Kimbrough

etc., etc., etc.

Have either of you ever heard of snipping (trimming) posts?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Maybe we could provide their computers with Commode Diodes, to dump all the bullshit straight to ground. (I used to have one on my car radio to filter out the shitkicker music when driving across the nation's underbelly.)

Reply to
Steve Caple

On 12/22/2007 12:01 AM Ray Haddad spake thus:

I know what a zener diode is and what they look like, and I haven't seen any of them in any wall warts either (and that's *dozens*, not just a few). No regulation whatsoever.

You just don't know what you're talking about (no surprise there for a blowhard).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 12/22/2007 10:16 AM Steve Caple spake thus:

How did that work? Some kind of comb filter? An adaptive RRF (redneck resonant filter)?

(In todays Internet-radio-based terms: "Please enter a list of stations NOT to listen to".)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Never opened it up, but it probably looked for a combination of dobro and massed strings, or perhaps in a miracle of computational compression was able to scan for words like "dog" and "dead" and "pickup", or perhaps just frequency analysis was able to detect pouty chin-bearded whiners.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 06:48:00 -0600, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Chuck Kimbrough instead replied:

So they put out 110AC? If not, you have no idea of what a regulator is. How do they get it do 12 volts DC from 110?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:53:20 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Larry Blanchard instead replied:

I almost always do, Larry. I'll try to do better just for you.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:48:57 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

So your wall cube plugs in to 110 VAC and sends out 12 volts DC how?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On 12/22/2007 12:34 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

It has a TRANSFORMER (converts 110 VAC to, say, 10 VAC) and a RECTIFIER (plus a filter). None of these comprise a REGULATOR. Got it?

Makes me wonder if you even know what a voltage regulator IS.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Google 13.8 volts along with Lead Acid and you'll be swamped with information.

Reply to
Greg Procter

There _are_ regulated power supplies out there. However the act of regulating requires heat sinking which is difficult to arrange in a small sealed black plastic box. Unless the item to be powered has a very small current draw, or unless it has for some reason to be smaller than the power supply, the regulation will normally be in the powered appliance.

I have old portable computer P/Ss that have the regulation in the P/S.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:05:39 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

Are you aware of what a regulator is? Even a simple resistor in series is a basic regulator. Get a grip, David. You haven't a clue.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 10:11:54 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Mostly wrong. Is that your primary source? Wrong information?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ray Haddad skriver:

Transformer, rectifier and perhaps a capacitor.

But no regulator.

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Solenoids work better on AC that DC because the soft iron core can become magnetised under DC current. Depending on the coil winding direction etc the solenoid could become sluggish under DC operation.

I occassionally build batches of hand-held walk-around controllers when I have nothing better to do. Unfortunately I don't expect to have time during 2008, and you'd be better to find a source closer to home.

Regards, Greg.P. NZ.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Some MR power supplies (eg Bachmann set) use the trafo winding resistance itself as the means of regulation. :-)

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter skriver:

I did:

And what came up? Chargers......

I'll ask again: Coud you please point me to a datasheet showing the nominal voltage of a normal lead-acid battery beeing 13,8 volt ?

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

LOL - my sources are wrong and your sources are right!

Is that your primary source? Wrong information?

My primary sources are battery manufacturer's data sheets collected during the 1970s when I was building electric cars.

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

Well, either (a) one of you is clueless, or perhaps (b) you are just talking about different things.

To me, voltage regulator = something to keep voltage very close to constant, i.e. in a very narrow predetermined range. Is that what either of you are interpreting it to mean?

Reply to
Eddie Oliver