12 volt power source?

"Wolf K." wrote:

My Peco catalogue shows 215 and 250 in NS.

Greg Procter wrote:

And your point is?????
Surely by this time it's dawned on you that Peco doesn't sell the same products in all markets.

"Wolf K." wrote:

Peco sells it's products world-wide. If you demand product 'xyz' they will sell it to you. It's the importer who decides which of Peco's products they will stock, based on perceived demand. I've just gone through the procedure of telling the NZ importer of Peco that they should stock the G guage range. I buy my HO code 75 from Britain.
Regards, Greg.P.
Ray Haddad wrote:

Awww Ray, if the electrical circuitry of the car is at 13.8 volts then the battery is at 13.8 volts - it's a physics thing.

I do hope you mean _to_ too high a level? If you charge a battery it has to rise through every voltage point from start to ...

It's best not to overcharge those either - however, they still have to be charged from their starting point through every voltage point to overcharge.

I've just put aside the idea of building a car from scratch and am looking for something like the Daihatsu Mira. There's not enough years left!

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 14:59:27 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

No, it's not. When you remove the 13.8 volt source, which is NOT the battery, the battery remains at 12 volts. Period.

No, Greg. If you were to say use 20 volts to charge, that would be too high a level. There's no way to charge a 12 volt battery to any old voltage you choose. Even 13.8 volts is impossible. Thus, when the charge voltage is removed, the battery is at 12 volts. No more than that or just barely above it. Certainly that battery will never be charged to 20 volts or even 13.8 volts. You're grasping at straws now, Greg.

Lead-acid batteries are nearly impossible to overcharge but if you apply to high a float potential you will get gassing or outgassing.

I decided to make it rear wheel drive with the entire front compartment reserved for batteries. I'm experimenting with the fuel cells. Two motors on the rear and all the power and most of the mass up front. Since the mass is all between the axles front to back, that will make it a very stable vehicle. Small, but stable.

What did you think of the fuel cells? -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

We will just have to agree to differ on that point - all my multimeters agree with me.

Basic Ohms law here: Input voltage (minus voltage sources in circuit) / resistance = current flow. 13.8v+ / resistance = excessive current.

That's the voltage my cite claims is possible. Even your cite said 13.2 volts+.

That doesn't agree with reality.
If the charge level is less than 12 volts you won't find 12 volts across the terminals.

Just barely above it?? 12.5? 13? 13.2?

13.8 volts is the (safe) limit.

I'm still holding the same straws I started with.

That has to do with resistance/current flow.

I was designing a minimal two in-line seat 4 wheel vehicle to minimise wind and rolling resistance. Building and certifying such a vehicle could be a long process. I now have to start over with an existing vehicle and extrapolate everything I've done so far.

I still have to get to that, rellies here until an hour ago. However it has to be something I can obtain here, at a workable cost.
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:18:50 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Ohms law in an active circuit? Oh, dear. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Well Ray, it seems that you haven't ever actually measured a battery voltage while it is being charged! [And for the few microseconds AFTER removal of the charging voltage.] The voltage RAPIDLY drops, but there IS a finite time where the voltage is STILL at the 13.8 volt level.
Chuck D.

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 19:44:45 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

I've done both. The battery under charge has a floating voltage of 13.8 volts not from the battery but from the charging circuit. After the charging circuit is removed, the battery is at 12 volts. Anything else is just plain nonsense. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

By that reasoning my key-chain LED torch (flashlite) is a mainframe computer controlling a CIA intelligence gathering network!
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:01:58 +0900, Ray Haddad wrote:

etc., etc., etc.
Have either of you ever heard of snipping (trimming) posts?
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:53:20 -0800, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Maybe we could provide their computers with Commode Diodes, to dump all the bullshit straight to ground. (I used to have one on my car radio to filter out the shitkicker music when driving across the nation's underbelly.)
--
Steve

On 12/22/2007 10:16 AM Steve Caple spake thus:

How did that work? Some kind of comb filter? An adaptive RRF (redneck resonant filter)?
(In todays Internet-radio-based terms: "Please enter a list of stations NOT to listen to".)
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:05:54 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Never opened it up, but it probably looked for a combination of dobro and massed strings, or perhaps in a miracle of computational compression was able to scan for words like "dog" and "dead" and "pickup", or perhaps just frequency analysis was able to detect pouty chin-bearded whiners.
--
Steve

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:53:20 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

I almost always do, Larry. I'll try to do better just for you. -- Ray
On 12/22/2007 12:01 AM Ray Haddad spake thus:

I know what a zener diode is and what they look like, and I haven't seen any of them in any wall warts either (and that's *dozens*, not just a few). No regulation whatsoever.
You just don't know what you're talking about (no surprise there for a blowhard).
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:48:57 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

So your wall cube plugs in to 110 VAC and sends out 12 volts DC how? -- Ray
On 12/22/2007 12:34 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

It has a TRANSFORMER (converts 110 VAC to, say, 10 VAC) and a RECTIFIER (plus a filter). None of these comprise a REGULATOR. Got it?
Makes me wonder if you even know what a voltage regulator IS.
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:05:39 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Are you aware of what a regulator is? Even a simple resistor in series is a basic regulator. Get a grip, David. You haven't a clue. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Some MR power supplies (eg Bachmann set) use the trafo winding resistance itself as the means of regulation. :-)