Whoops! (Prototype Problems.)

BNSF probably isn't happy about this situation (looks as if both locos
are totaled) but I'll bet the local wildlife is thrilled about the
grain that the leading hoppers spilled all along the river bank when
they tipped over...

~Pete
Reply to
Twibil
On 6/6/2010 2:56 PM Twibil spake thus:
Wow. Looks like the back third or so of the trailing loco was completely sheared off.
Time to take that old Athearn, put it in a vise and break off a chunk!
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
Yes, it was.
But remember that the back portion contains mostly the radiators and fans, so it's sort of "empty" as compared to the diesel engine and generator (alternator?) that sit just ahead of it.
Tearing *those* out would have taken a lot bigger impact.
The damage that doesn't show might be even worse: the leading unit got it's expensive electronics submerged in the river, and is probably a complete write-off.
~Pete
Reply to
Twibil
I guess they don't have rock slide sensors to shut down that line if something like this happens. The story says the rock slide was reported to the railroad but they couldn't contact the train. Automatic triggers to turn block signals red might have prevented that.
Reply to
Rick Jones
On 6/7/2010 11:29 AM Rick Jones spake thus:
Amazing what "they" don't have, isn't it? Rock slide sensors; reliable valves to shut off underwater oil pipes.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
Actually, it looks like the end of the long hood (which is only fans and radiators) separated from the frame.
I wonder if the grain is a hazardous spill?
Reply to
Fred Lotte
On 6/7/2010 1:50 PM Fred Lotte spake thus:
I was thinking of the modeling possibilities. I love the idea of modeling wrecks and disasters like these.
Probably not, but certainly nothing you want spilled onto a riverbank or into a river. Some of that stuff'll probably sprout soon.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
Indeed, I thought why not some sort of radar.
The fashion in appeasement has an effete, shrill style this spring, with metaphors of talking animals and fairies shown in technicolor.
Reply to
None
Might work, _IF_ the road was a long straight stretch - but look at the picture. By the time any radar had a clear shot, and making the big assumption that radar could pick up a rock on the line from other echoes, stopping a train would be problematical at best.
Reply to
Steve Caple
On 6/7/2010 5:12 PM Steve Caple spake thus:
I'm pretty sure that the rock-slide sensors that some roads do use are much simpler electrical devices, which work by having two wires touch each other or some other mechanical switch closure action caused by falling rocks. Remember reading about it many years ago in /Mainline Modeler/.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
Areas prone to rockslides are protected by wires carrying current which, when broken, interrupt the current holding a relay open. The closing relay activates a danger signal.
This is much better than radar.
Reply to
Special Agent Melvin Purvis
In a curious coincidence, this week's Scottish derailment was also caused by Boulders:
This has some interesting pictures:
I apologise for linking to such a notorious and rabid newspaper
It took several days to arrange a lift, which is well worth looking at:
crane was a 1000 tonne lift, and the embankment it is stood on had to be reinforced before it could be erected.
Reply to
bobharvey
Back in the 19th Century, human beings patrolled lengths of track, clearing fallen leaves, checking for loose ties and fishplates, and spotting obstacles.
But we are so much cleverer in the 21st century, aren't we? And got so few surplus people who need a job?
Reply to
bobharvey
but I apologise for linking to such a notorious and rabid newspaper
Thanks for the links.
Good thing they didn't have to bring out the Giant Hand!
Reply to
Lobby Dosser
It would make quite a diorama, perhaps with the lift in progress. Fun for a small exhibition project or a competition.
Reply to
bobharvey

Site Timeline