Whoops! (Prototype Problems.)

BNSF probably isn't happy about this situation (looks as if both locos are totaled) but I'll bet the local wildlife is thrilled about the
grain that the leading hoppers spilled all along the river bank when they tipped over...
http://www.gordon-elias.com/blog/570/bnsf-train-derails-in-wyoming-wind-river-canyon-photos /
~Pete
On 6/6/2010 2:56 PM Twibil spake thus:

http://www.gordon-elias.com/blog/570/bnsf-train-derails-in-wyoming-wind-river-canyon-photos /
Wow. Looks like the back third or so of the trailing loco was completely sheared off.
Time to take that old Athearn, put it in a vise and break off a chunk!

Yes, it was.
But remember that the back portion contains mostly the radiators and fans, so it's sort of "empty" as compared to the diesel engine and generator (alternator?) that sit just ahead of it.
Tearing *those* out would have taken a lot bigger impact.

The damage that doesn't show might be even worse: the leading unit got it's expensive electronics submerged in the river, and is probably a complete write-off.
~Pete

Actually, it looks like the end of the long hood (which is only fans and radiators) separated from the frame.
I wonder if the grain is a hazardous spill?
--
Fred Lotte
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.stratos.net

I was thinking of the modeling possibilities. I love the idea of modeling wrecks and disasters like these.

Probably not, but certainly nothing you want spilled onto a riverbank or into a river. Some of that stuff'll probably sprout soon.
On 6/6/2010 4:56 PM, Twibil wrote:

http://www.gordon-elias.com/blog/570/bnsf-train-derails-in-wyoming-wind-river-canyon-photos /
I guess they don't have rock slide sensors to shut down that line if something like this happens. The story says the rock slide was reported to the railroad but they couldn't contact the train. Automatic triggers to turn block signals red might have prevented that.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

Amazing what "they" don't have, isn't it? Rock slide sensors; reliable valves to shut off underwater oil pipes.

Indeed, I thought why not some sort of radar.

The fashion in appeasement has an effete, shrill style this spring, with metaphors of talking animals and fairies shown in technicolor.
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 16:30:41 -0700 (PDT), None wrote:

Might work, _IF_ the road was a long straight stretch - but look at the picture. By the time any radar had a clear shot, and making the big assumption that radar could pick up a rock on the line from other echoes, stopping a train would be problematical at best.
--
Steve

On 6/7/2010 5:12 PM Steve Caple spake thus:

I'm pretty sure that the rock-slide sensors that some roads do use are much simpler electrical devices, which work by having two wires touch each other or some other mechanical switch closure action caused by falling rocks. Remember reading about it many years ago in /Mainline Modeler/.

Areas prone to rockslides are protected by wires carrying current which, when broken, interrupt the current holding a relay open. The closing relay activates a danger signal.
This is much better than radar.

Back in the 19th Century, human beings patrolled lengths of track, clearing fallen leaves, checking for loose ties and fishplates, and spotting obstacles.
But we are so much cleverer in the 21st century, aren't we? And got so few surplus people who need a job?
On 6/12/2010 6:12 AM bobharvey spake thus:

Bingo. Good points. I wouldn't mind walking those tracks myself ...

In a curious coincidence, this week's Scottish derailment was also caused by Boulders: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/10251545.stm
This has some interesting pictures: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1284513/Glasgow-Oban-train-derailment-leaves-carriages-hanging-embankment.html but I apologise for linking to such a notorious and rabid newspaper
It took several days to arrange a lift, which is well worth looking at: http://news.stv.tv/scotland/182343-derailed-train-lifted-from-track / The crane was a 1000 tonne lift, and the embankment it is stood on had to be reinforced before it could be erected.

Fascinating. Thanks for posting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1284513/Glasgow-Oban-train-derailment-leaves-carriages-hanging-embankment.html
Thanks for the links.
Good thing they didn't have to bring out the Giant Hand!

It would make quite a diorama, perhaps with the lift in progress. Fun for a small exhibition project or a competition.