Latest threads in Model Railroad Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Kalmbach offers digital subs
Got an email offering a digital sub to Garden Railways mag, through Zinio, for $24.95. That's a $5 saving over print, not much of a bargain IMO. Print still has advantages over digital, the most...
1
1

Roundhouse Palace car kits
The older Roundhouse Palace car kits had instructions that included a seat layout drawing. The newer ones do not include these instructions. I'm looking for a copy of these instructions with the...

Other transmission media?
Some havetouched on the subject of infra-red and wireless systems. Are those systems being used merely as the transmission media for DCC-type signalling? If so, how isthe power supplied to the...
5
5

DCC?
Which is the best DCC product on the market? Price? Facilities? Ease of Use? As a semi-retired computing and electronics person, I'm looking to producing a world-beater myself, but have not advanced...
23
23

lionel smoke fluid
What can I use instead of smoke fluid? 3 in 1 oil? wd40?
3
3

Lionel Locomotive 2037 Repair, headlight assembly
I'm replacing the headlight assembly (washer & eyelet 61-22) on a Lionel 20 37 locomotive. What is the power source for the headlight? I've got the NOS washer and eyelet with 4 inch cloth wire lead...
2
2

will a 1950 lionel engine run on a current 0 track?
I Have a 1950s lionel steam engine number671 with 20 wheels. Will it run on the current 0 Track and transformer
4
4

Call Trolley Pole A Pantograph and Trolley Car A Tram
Accept it or not, they are two vastly different pieces of equipment that just happen to perform the same function. An analogy would be with a gasoline engine and a diesel engine - they both create...
4
4

A prototype question
If anyone's here besides spammers.... Here's a question, with recent rail accidents: do current US RRA rules still require an engineer and a fireman on a freight? mark
5
5

Train Sounds
I am interested in downloading specific railroad sounds onto my ipad so I can add train sound to my BBQ Train. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Check out for a look at the train. Call...
1
1

BBQ Train--New to the area
I am just settling in here in Shoreline after a move from Whidbey Island. I used the BBQ Train for 10 years on the island as a caterer. Now I am int erested in just renting out the Train to...
1
1

End of the line for Testors Floquil and Polly Scale paint
"End of the line for Testors Floquil and Polly Scale paint" Testor Corp. has announced that it's discontinuing Floquil and Polly Scale paint lines Published: May 21, 2013
1
1

The Lensmen etc
The Lensmen was a railroad photo magazine published in the 1970s. I have a copy of February 1973. 8-1/2" x 11", all black and white, above average printing. If anyone wants it, e-mail me at It's yours...

Winter 2013 SouthErneR now online
The SER's Winter 2013 SouthErneR V54#1.5 is now available on the SER's website at: Featured are photo stories on two HO layouts: Howard Garner's 1905-era operations-oriented Cascade Western RR...

Now available: Ubuntu / Debian packages for release 2.1.32 of the Model Railroad System
Details at: Ubuntu / Debian packages for the Model Railroad System now available.