Online Manuals

400Mb of files and I am on a slow link

How about just the title page or the first and last ?

Appreciate the problems and work involved, just trying to think of effective solutions.. :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

is nearly 400Mb of files and I am on a slow link

Some thieves are so brazen and clueless they will steal anything no matter what protection is used. Efforts to dissuade might work but sadly the solutions to defeating these cockroaches is often so time consuming and expensive that it is easier to pull the abused section of the site.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Yeh but they'd have a problem selling something on which had "download free at ********" or similar written all over it!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Richard is right, it seems no amount of effort will dissuade these money grabbing b*****ds from trying to make a quick buck, lets hope that Paul's efforts will not be in vain. Perhaps if everyone mails satworld and asks him to prove his ownership of the originals (as he claims that he does) I have done just that.

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Did I mention that some of these cockroaches are brazen and clueless?

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

terms of download are that they must not be

solicitor seems to think there is a case for

Paul,

In that case good luck getting him! One of the reasons I have not scanned any of my own is due to the amount of work involved. I had to do a number of scans for my old pages from documents etc, but I was told that this was okay as Copyright had expired. More than the fact that he may have broken the law, It is very wrong to try and make a few quid out of someone else's hard work. The worry is that this person must be part of our hobby?

Good luck in resolving the issue, and get back on line soon!

Regards

Chris

Reply to
Chris Bedo

He has not yet replied to me. The items remain and the manuals pictured are clearly copies. Although not without potential for problems I suspect the only answer is to sell CDs cheaply for the benefit of Internal Fire and ensure that the facility is near the top of any search. It is now my practice to search the rest of the net for any item that interests me on Ebay. As Richard observes clever technical solutions and/or yet more legislation don't work for the brazen/clueless/nothing to lose. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Sorry the freeloaders have picked on you Paul. I used your service and thought the idea and the implementation were excellent. In fact I was going offer a couple of manuals you don't have.

It's obvious you can all post at the moment as this thread is so lively. I've now tried to post twice and failed. I don't know what I or my PCs are doing wrong. If any of you have got a mail from me in your inbox which I meant to send to the group, I'm sorry, it wouldn't be the first time I've done it, though nothing is appearing in my sent items, so this seems unlikely. If any of you have any idea why I'm having problems, I'm listening.

Regards, Arthur G

downloading the manuals from the Internal

Edgington, nothing illegal there I suppose, just

moment will no longer be available. You can still

up to 100 downloads a day it may not be

lot of people have needed and used.

occasions and it is an incredibly useful

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

This one has worked Arthur :-)

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Got one at home this morning from you...

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

But hopefully their prospective customers (ie the likes of us) aren't.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

clueless?

As far as the members of this group are concerned I would like to think that you are correct. The fact that the boys in Lagos are still sending out 419's, which are even more brazen than the satworld cretins activity, seems to indicate that those who make their living by underestimating the intelligence of certain Internet users leads me to believe that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Thanks Peter, that explains one. I wonder what happened the other one, I clicked send and it disappeared, didn't appear here and didn't land in my Sent Items. Strange.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Did you see the report on

about the lottery scams etc etc and the huge number of people taken in?

In most cases it is simple greed I am sure, as they are usually very reluctant to take any action once it is obvious they have been taken for a ride.

The various "10 million dollars in my late husband's bank account" type of scam are still running, we get two a week most weeks, plus the Dutch/Nigerian/Luxemburg Lottery winners which are probably monthly at present.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Nothing listed under satworld in the local directory, or in Yellow Pages.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

400Mb of files and I am on a slow link

Thinking about it the watermarks may not work as he's already got a download without them. One thing you can do and not may people realise this is to place an avert on Ebay under the guise of an advert. Quite legal as far as ebay are concerned as long as you may your listing fees

Something along the lines of " XXXXX workshop manual FREE for download from

't pay good money to thieves, like Satworld, download the original article - free for personal use." List it at a start bid of £0.01 but there is something in the setup that stops anyone bidding on it at any price, so it's basically an advert.

Next thing to do is two or even three people setup a bogus ebay account using a hot mail address and bid his CD up to around 10,000 quid and let him explain to Ebay why he shouldn't pay seller fees of 10% on this. In the end he'll get away with the fees as the buyers are fake but it will cost him some time and effort. ___

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Reply to
John Stevenson

downloading the manuals from the Internal

no longer be available. You can still

100 downloads a day it may not be

people have needed and used.

Have a look at Martin Pickering's site

to see how he protects his downloadable ebooks. Looks like he has had similar problems in the past.

Reply to
Niall

"John Stevenson" wrote

There is probably not a lot we can do about him other than drag him through the courts if the solicitor decides it is worthwhile.

Ebay have still not replied to the complaint.

The long term solution I think is to break apart the PDFs back to individual TIFF, watermark the TIFF and reassemble the PDF. I've just written the code to do it and will probably start later tonight.

I'll probably ask someone covered in oily spots if he will upload the resulting files with his shiny new broadband.

Thanks Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

nearly 400Mb of files and I am on a slow link

Reply to
Paul Evans

Satworld ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com ) has now replied offering me his best wishes for my future but failing to answer either of my questions. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

That should of course be a lower case v and I see that the items have now been withdrawn. Looks like the combined pressure worked :-) ttfn Roland

for

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven