08 vs 08 Hornby 2005 prices

"piemanlarger" wrote

What's wrong with pointing out the discrepancies in a model? If the original Bachmann effort at the 37/4 hadn't been so widely criticised do you seriously think they would have retooled it into the much nicer model when creating the 37/0? I for one am glad that happened, even though I have both versions of that loco on my layout.

I don't always appreciate the way in which criticism of models is phrased, but just occasionally it is necessary to be cruel to be kind. Equally so I often don't like the way that some of the magazines gloss over errors in models. If the model press championed the cause of their readers rather than looked at at the revenue they get from advertising, then just maybe some enthusiasts wouldn't need to stick out knecks out quite so far.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well thats the funny thing. The 37/4 is called crap (not by me, it still looked and ran better than any lima or hornby out of the box model for me so i baught one) but I looked at the front of the 37/0 and said, thats crap and looks all wrong (Im rivet counting now), but i still baught one, then put another two on provisional order. So, bachmann improved the grills, (not that I think they looked that bad) but then totally spoilt the front and look to me of the 37/0. I am still deciding if I will have the other two or actually sell the 37/0 i have and not bother. Are bachamnn going to re-tool the next batch of 37/0? depends on sales. How have yours sold John?

Surley this would have been a better model for Hornby to get 100% right and "take to another level" as they have described the 08 as going to be. I got two 08's that look great and run supperbly. I might pick up a departmntal grey one one day, but not the more expensive Hornby model just so i can look in the cab. Hornby not listening to modellers?

I for one am glad that happened, even though I have both

yes, I quite agree, a spade is a spade and if your black I`ll call you it, people call me Welsh after all!! However, what would you do John, if Hornby or bachmann, or both, said you personally must stop critisiing thier models on the internet or they would refuse to supply you trade? Not officially of course as I am sure there is some law against it but off the record sort of thing? This may have been the case for the mags? In most of the magazines I work for, advertising takes precident.

Simon

Reply to
piemanlarger

I would have thought sawing off the end of the chassis to make room for the decoder was the most difficult bit? Even more difficult if you do it the Nigel Burkin way:-

Slightly less tricky is fitting decent pick ups:-
(kim)

Reply to
kim

You still have to remove any TV suppressor components, at least one capacitor and possibly two RF chokes. If they were mounted on the removable dummy board that would save us all a bit of work.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

If you use the Lenz 0511, or 0521 as recommended by John you don't have to saw anything off, it fits comfortably between the pillars, in fact I put a plasticard strip across the pillars fixed with the original two screws and this holds any spare wire neatly in place.

The pickups already there just need a little tweek with tweezers so they bear on the edge of the flange instead of the tread. No problems since that was done. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

On the 08 they are mounted on the removable board that you take out to fit the decoder. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

I meant that it wouldn't necessarily be any easier if the 08 were fitted with a so-called "DCC-ready" board.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

That's useful to know but Steve Jones and Nigel Burkin have made it known they prefer to fit bigger decoders than strictly necessary so as to be able to use them with different models in the future.

My own example ran perfect straight from the box but I'm sure there are others who wish to eliminate the possibility of it not doing so at some time in the future. I am guessing a shunter will be subjected to more rough handling than other types of loco? That being the case and also that Hornby's target buyers include everyone from Tellytubby fans to ageing men with failing eyesight I would rather their version of the 08 was more durable than Bachmann's rather than more detailed. In fact if I was Hornby I would cash in on Bachmann's exisiting weakness by fitting brass plunger or split-axle pick-ups and push them as a major feature.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

LOL! That's the most succinct explanation of the term "rivet counter" I've ever read! May I borrow it?

Reply to
mark_newton

The remark was made due you saying that kids only play train and don't model their chosen railway system....

Many kids are more skilled at modelling railways than many adults !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Nick's not the only one with light fitted 08's :-)

Reply to
Dave Potter

So what, seems a stupid reason for making the install harder, there will always be plenty of locos you could move the small decoder into, a 521 will drive most modern locos, very few take more than 0.5 amp.

I don't at this point see any reason why my Bachmann one won't last 20 years.

I'd sooner have the Bachmann wipers than any brass plunger but split axles as in the class 50 should be easy for the 08 and would be an excellent feature. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

not in my qote

Reply to
piemanlarger

"kim" wrote

You don't need to do any sawing if you use the Lenz LE0511 decoder - it sits happily between the two PCB mounting posts.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Keith Norgrove" wrote

I've had one of the outside cranks fail on one 08, but it was dealt with under warranty. Other than having to clean the pickups from time-to-time my other 08s have all been fault free.

Yes, plunger pickups are an absolute nightmare. The Bachmann 08 pickups are at least easy to clean when they become clogged. Plungers have a nasty habit of sticking in their holders - might be ok for O-gauge but no use in the smaller scales, which is why Dapol modified the Airfix 14xx from plungers to wipers.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"kim" wrote

Not so. Many Bachmann DCC-ready locos need to have their capacitors removed before they will work satisfactorily on DCC.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"piemanlarger" wrote

Extremely well.

I'm not sure any of them listen to modellers unless they are hit in the pocket. Why do you think that Hornby have started to produce quality models with good drives?

However, what would you do John, if Hornby

I try not to criticise in a 'professional capacity', but as a modeller I think I'm entitled to pass on my views.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That is exactly what I wrote, twice :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I think the BRM article in which Nigel Burkin laid into the newest (weathered) versions of their Classes 56 and 58 had something to do with it? Hornby's marketing department were obvioulsy expecting a glowing tribute for the incremental improvements they made and instead were subjected to a barrage of criticism together with a checklist of everything Nigel thought a modern model should contain, DCC-ready socket, twin flywheel cardan shaft drive, NEM coupling pockets, etc. Within a year of the article being published they produced the Class 50 including every feature suggested by Nigel. Coincidence or what?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Scalextric?

Sorry, yes it was.

"I cant see how it is a selling point to most modellers or non "modellers" i.e. kids? Hornby presumably sell alot of the current 08 to kids without scale interiors?"

Reply to
:::Jerry::::