08 vs 08 Hornby 2005 prices

"that kids only play train and don't

you said thse words, not me

Reply to
piemanlarger

"kim" wrote

Yes, I know, I noted that after I'd typed what I did, but sadly you cannot delete Usenet postings. Sorry.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"kim" replied to

I think it started much earlier than that, in fact with the Merchant Navy. Hornby's market share had taken a tremendous battering following the entry of Bachmann into the UK market, particularly when the latter started to release their 'Blue Ribband' range. It really became a case of listen to what the market wants, rather than what you want to produce.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

No sweat. I'd advise against anyone cutting out the RF chokes on a DCC-ready board unless they want to have to reroute the power supply to the decoder. It's a simple job for someone who knows what they're doing but not if they don't.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

I presume they're the two little copper coils which also sit on the PCB? If so I had one break off and simply soldered a piece of wire in its place. The loco is still working fine months on.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

FFS yes you did....

Subject: Re: 08 vs 08 rivet counting Lines: 43 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000 Message-ID: Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 12:21:43 GMT NNTP-Posting-Host: 213.105.244.216 X-Complaints-To:

newsfe2-gui.ntli.net 1105273303 213.105.244.216 (Sun, 09 Jan 2005

12:21:43 GMT) NNTP-Posting-Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 12:21:43 GMT Organization: ntl Cablemodem News Service Xref: uni-berlin.de uk.rec.models.rail:75497

My point was John, what is the point in having a scale interior? Are modellers going to take it apart to measure things! Your not going to be able to see inside the cab that much anyway. I cant see how it is a selling point to most modellers or non "modellers" i.e. kids? Hornby presumably sell alot of the current 08 to kids without scale interiors? Yes, the old hornby 08 is crap as a model, but the bachmann one is not, its just the rivet counters who count rivetsd and moan at models being 1 ml to wide etc, most "railway modelers" I know are more than happy with todays standards, even the 37/4, you must have sold a fair few of these? If it were that bad it would never have sold.

I know our club of 40 members has about 3 "rivet counters," the rest of us vary at "lower" levels but I think we enjoy ourselves more as we are not moaning all the time!!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

Surely better to have a 'scale interior' than something from the design team's imagination? Now quite how readily visible that will be is anyone's guess.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well, i cant remember anyone complaining about not having one before, so i still dont see who is going to be convinced to buy this model on the scale interior selling point? As I said, I' ll be very amused if a "Rivet Counter" states something in the cab is out of scale, for that surley is rivet counting, taking the cab apart to measure things!

God help Hornby if the body is out in any way!

Simon

Reply to
piemanlarger

Yes but someone who didn't know the difference between a capacitor wired in parallel and an RF choke (inductor) wired in series wouldn't know that.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

All suggestions which save me having to do any metalwork are gratefully received :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

What's the purpose of the chokes please?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

To filter out radio frequency oscillations from the DC supply lines. In order to do that they need to be connected in series so removing them will also remove the DC supply.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Thanks Kim.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I would expect the TCS M1 would be small enough too. I know for the DN121 I had to do the metalwork...8^( (but have 2 more 08s to try with the TCS when I get a round tuit and some M1s)

Reply to
Michael Walker