Bachmanns LMS G2A 9449 - was it a G2A ?

Comparing a Gem G2 with the new G2A noticed the different chimneys. Now 9449 was built as a G2 and Edward Talbot suggests no G2s were converted to G2A. He also shows it as a G2 in shed allocation lists in 1945 and 1950. So did

9449 have remain a G2 and should it have a Stanier chimney - presume thats what the model has.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Well according to Ian Allan's 1944 ABC of British Locomotives all of these locos are classified as G2 including those known to have been rebuilt from the G1 class and officially classified G2A. I assume if Ian Allan have lumped them all together then so could Talbot.

Quite what the differences are I've no idea, and I cannot comment on the chimneys either.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"simon" wrote

Well according to Ian Allan's 1944 ABC of British Locomotives all of these locos are classified as G2 including those known to have been rebuilt from the G1 class and officially classified G2A. I assume if Ian Allan have lumped them all together then so could Talbot.

Quite what the differences are I've no idea, and I cannot comment on the chimneys either.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

Nice model though. Never intended to have one, but guess what's sitting on my layout? Still at least 49395 is unquestionably a G2A, and as it's preserved it can happily sit amongst my diesels. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well Mr Allen wasnt being very specific then. Yeadon also puts then in seperate chapters. Differences are minor, but I'm wondering if Bachmanns model has the wrong chimney. 9449 certainly didnt have the Stanier Chimney in 1935, but can believe it did at a later time - just wonder when ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Good to hear your on the road to recovery from the diesel phase - only one now but more to follow :-)

Its a very nice model ...but when put next to mucked about paint job on GEM one it just dont seem right cos of glossy black coat. Realise its same with other plain black frieghts its just that the heavy blackened wheels on G2A makes it look strange. Still good incentive to get started on some simple weathering.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Believe it or not chimneys do wear out, and it's perfectly possible that

9449 had its original replaced. Just speculating here, but it's a reasonable assumption.

Of course Bachmann could have got it wrong - it wouldn't be the first time.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I suspect that the people not being very specific were the LMS, Mr Allen relied on the press offices of the big four to produce those ABC's and at the time (clue in the date) there were far more important things to worry about (and certainly not the time for 'frivolous' travel and certainly not time for an unofficial shed bash to check details!

Reply to
Jerry

"simon" wrote

You'd be quite surprised just how many 'kettle' models I have Simon, but sadly they rarely see any use on my layout, although they do grace an attractive oak display case in my railway room cum office.

I have to say that modern diesel models *generally* work better.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Very true, there is at least one photo of a G2 with a replacement chimney and one with a broken one. Just checked when it was at edge hill - arrived sometime between 1933 and

1945, remaining there till received BR number. So that narrows it down a bit as post 1935 to when receiving BR number (1950). Still isnt a G2A though. Can I have an anorak ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

But 9395 was built as a G2 and retired from BR as a G2 :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon