Chunnel Closed - Continent cut off

Or perhaps given back to the people who actually live there? Mike H

Reply to
jimedvic

?

Northern Ireland belongs to the citizens of northern ireland. They still want to be part of the UK - hence the referendum result.

Same as Gibralter is British*, not Spanish. Self determination my dear chap.

  • dependency

-- Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff. Posted in his lunch hour too.

Reply to
Paul Weaver

wrote

I don't understand all this nationalistic rubbish - we in England are being ruled by a couple of Scots who take their instructions from Brussels. What's the point in worrying about independence or the pound?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

When they can't legally work, it's not surprising that they're not trying to seek gainful employment. Rather than trying to keep them out, the government should just tax them more. That way everyone wins.

No, the Australian government's immigration policy is now quite unpopular with the Ausralian people. Despite the economy being OK, the government stand a good chance of getting voted out in a few months.

Depends what you mean. They have some laws that it would be wrong to insist anyone abide by.

That's hardly surprising as they've got their own countries to rebuild.

If we'd wanted them to join our armed forces, we picked the wrong country to invade - the sensible thing would be to go to Zimbabwe and regain a bit of empire! But if we want more soldiers, why not recruit more Gurkhas?

As for the Iraq war, I thought eliminating the threat of WMDs was enough to justify the risk to the troops. Does this mean that you didn't?

Now THAT makes you a nasty ignorant piece of fascist scum :-)

The real problem's a shortage of cops.

Is "Badger" your first name? Your surname? Or your occupation?

I don't see how the tunnel's to blame - it's not the only way they're getting in.

Reply to
Aidan Stanger

That's nowhere near as bad as scrolling through to the end and finding no original content, then scrolling back up and finding a "Me too" right at the top.

A lot of newsreaders automatically show quoted text in colour, and only use black for original text. The first line or two is usually just attribution, so a "me too" there followed by an attribution before a load of coloured text is very easy to overlook.

Reply to
Aidan Stanger

The stupid political situation came about as a result of 1066 and all that. After Harold was defeated at the Battle of Battle, outside Hastings, the people who took over England became playground bullies and took over Wales, Scotland and Ireland, too, although it took a fair number of years for this first example (and apart from Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands, only remaining example) of English imperialism to take effect.

The only way to solve this stupid political situation is to make Wales, Scotland and Ireland independent again.

Reply to
John Sullivan

But cornwall used to be independent (or was it part of wales?) Certainly England was split, and under several different rulers.

Besides, you are complaining about something that happend 400 years ago. Before America was founded.

-- Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff. Posted in his lunch hour too.

Reply to
Paul Weaver

Yet you're still reading, and replying...

--

***
*** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

And yes, I know the post timing is an hour off - blame ntl :(

Reply to
Rich Mackin

In message , Paul Weaver writes

I don't understand your last paragraph. 400 years ago was 1604. Cristobal Colón found America in 1492. Others found America earlier, hence the various Native American tribes that various factions of the American colonists saw fit to ethnically cleanse.

Yes, I am complaining about something that happened at various times during the last 1000 years. It was wrong then, and there is no good argument for maintaining it now.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"Aidan Stanger" wrote

I'm not sure I would have bothered scrolling back up even if I had scrolled all the way to the bottom in the first place!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

content not cut to allow others to see what the reply is all about. If the tw...ts who cant be bothered to cut the base comments and post their reply to the portion that concerns them, then they are worthy of anyones killfile!

Those also who do have the courtesy of posting at the bottom so that many of our kin can read through the relevant points first, before reading the reply of the poster are to be welcomed, those who cannot be bothered and have us all downloading mgs upon mgs of files just to find.. * me too I agree* at the bottom ought to be playing on the tracks of the FGW/ECML/WCML, for the day.

Reply to
Martin WY

I'm looking for some 'chunnel plugs' in 4mm.

It seems that they'd be ideal where the layout meets the wall.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

Easy with Ctrl+End or Ctrl+Home (in Windows).

Reply to
MartinS

What is so different about the other dependencies - especially Bermuda, which has a stronger claim to /English/ imperialism than the Falklands?

What puzzles me is the nationalist assumption that England actually wants them. In particular, if we had a UK-wide referendum on NI I suspect the outcome might not suit the views of the majority of people who actually live there.

Anyway, what about Mercia, Wessex etc - aren't they being occupied by England? Or how about independence for the Parisi, Iceni etc, if there are any left.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Don't work with Free Agent (which last time I looked was running in windows and all that jazz **:-)**) though - goes to the last article in the group....

Ian

-- Ian, Cath, Eoin & Calum Ford The view from Beccles

I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

No e-mail address. If you want to talk to me then talk here to start with and we can go back to your place later...

Reply to
Ian/Cath Ford

Which precicely why said referendum was limited to NI.

Reply to
GbH

Bluddee 'ell

What's an archie-pegalo?

What is our's called?

Why is Northern Ireland seperate from The Republic of Ireland?

Why is The Republic of Ireland not part of our archie-pegalo?

Is there some abstract reason of theoretical quantum mechanical new geography for this?

Very wise, very very wise.

DG

Reply to
Derek *

In message , Arthur Figgis writes

Wasn't there talk about having referenda on devolution for some of the English regions?

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , Derek * writes

A group of islands

"The British Isles"

Politics. To understand it, you have to study what's been happening over the past 1000 years in the British Isles.

It is part of it.

No.

Indeed.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Devolution no , regional assemblies yes.

Reply to
4973