Chunnel Closed - Continent cut off

solarpenguin snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Great Britain, if you please.
Little or Lesser Britain is a peninsular, currently occupied by the French.
--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home: < snipped-for-privacy@davros.org>
Tel: +44 20 8495 6138 (work) | Web: <http://www.davros.org
"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote:

I was taught at school, circa 1960: Britain = England, Scotland and Wales. Great Britain = England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland. (plus Channel Islands etc)
Gregory Procter wrote:

Close but no. Britain = England & Wales Great Britain is Britain plus Scotland. UK is Great Britain & Norhern Ireland. The UK does NOT include C.I. nor IoM. Someone posted a much better definition a little while back. Sure Google knows.
GbH wrote:

Thanks for that!
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 07:17:28 +1200, Gregory Procter

Um, I've never heard that before.

There are pretty comprehensive guides here: http://www.alt-usage-english.org/english_british_uk_et_al.shtml http://www.alt-usage-english.org/whatistheuk.html
including the line "I suspect that the UK is probably the only country in the world whose average inhabitant has no idea what its legal name actually is."
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Gregory Procter wrote:

Great Britain does not include Northern Ireland, which is why we live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - check your passport (assuming that your British and have one of course).
Regards, Ewan
--
<>< | "The LORD is close to all who call on him,
| yes, to all who call on him sincerely."
Ewan wrote:

I'm a New Zealander.
Regards, Greg.Procter.
Gregory Procter wrote:

I really should pay more attention to the sending email address shouldn't I! Sorry!
eat
--
<>< | "The LORD is close to all who call on him,
| yes, to all who call on him sincerely."
Ewan wrote:

No problem - if I had applied while my grandmother was still alive I could have had a British passport.
"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote:

Way back, one of the criteria was where one's live grandparents was born.
"Gregory Procter" wrote

And still used by such sports as soccer and rugby to determine one's qualification to play international football.
This may also apply to other sports too, but without resorting to such *antics* it would be virtually impossible to assemble international rugby league teams for Wales, Scotland and Ireland.
John.
John Turner wrote:

OK, give me a call if Yorkshire ever needs a one legged back!

You have rugby teams? ;-)
Greg.P.
"Gregory Procter" wrote

We sure have and I seem to remember New Zealand having them in the distant passed. ;-)
John.

As in passing the distant? A well known railway signalling term.
Yoda wrote:

Yeah, I always had trouble as a kid - the coach would say "time for training" and I would (apparently) head in the wrong direction!
John Turner wrote:

The ball kicking/running thing has got diluted here thanks to the Aussie code thingie. I've never actually taken much interest due to the coincidence of footie and model railway seasons. :-)
Regards, Greg.P.

<flamebait> Why would anyone want to assemble international rugby league teams for Wales, Scotland and Ireland? As I recall, rugby league is not played in those countries. </flamebait>

--
John Sullivan
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html

Ah well, I'll bite in that case! ;-)
Rugby League is played in all three, but only at amateur level.
John.

That's still no reason to have a "professional" international side.
--
John Sullivan
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:04:49 +0100, "John Turner"

Except, of course, for the Challenge Cup Final played at the Millennium Stadium.
(Still supporting the London Broncos from 1500Km south of London)
--
Bill Hayles
http://www.rossrail.com