Hornby Carriage wheels.

I have decided to replace the wheel sets with bachmann -- at

1 gbp per 10 axles it is not really a burden.

As the overwidth occured where a curve departed from the removalable 4ft bridge I was loathe to lift it (araladited down to make the cut) but damn it ! so I lifted it. To my surprise the length of track involved was not marked Peco but MQ. I have no idea what this is but the chairs are slightly diferrent from peco but the design is otherwise identical. Having replaced it with Peco Ni things improved but the tripping still occured on a much less frequent basis.

If the UK postal strike doesn't screw me up I shall be able to confirm if bachmann prevails. Certainly B'mann locos are better lookers and smooth even if their traction is poor and I have been obliged to sell on two Hornby locos (A3 and Un R/B Patriot) because their cabs stood so high -- just like the wee GW 29XX PT funnel.

Must also say that I am delighted with the Fairburn 2-6-4T -- like the Ivatt Cl 2T it pulls it's weight.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

There is, as the manufacturers contract is with the retailer, so the customer goes to the retailer and then the retailor goes to the manufacturer. (there may be other steps involved depending on distribution chain etc).

Reply to
estarriol

In practice, a lot of manufacturers (I'm talking in general and not just model railways) do warrant their products with e.g. a 12 month guarantee which is always stated to be in addition to "statutory right". The latter being the right under the sale of goods act against the retailer.

Manufacturers and retailers will also try to sell you an "extended warranty" through which you can pay for cover which you may very well have under the SOGA anyway, depending upon the nature of the fault.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

From memory Peco ads in Model Railroader over the years have intimated that they comply with NMRA standards!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I was just teasing...

Reply to
Wolf

Consumers union did a study of "extended warranties", and came to the conclusion they were an unnecessary expense. In the unlikely event you needed the coverage, the repair would cost the same as the warranty. Which makes sense.

When I bought the Mac Powerbook, the retailer said that the extended warranty basically covered the cost of a new battery, which I would likely need around the time the warranty expired since rechargeable batteries have a limited life.

Reply to
Wolf

wrote

Hornby offer a three month guarantee, Bachmann six months - or at least that is my current understanding.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Greg Procter" wrote

Sorry Greg, I was referring to the UK market. Clearly I would mostly be unaware of what British companies claim in overseas markets.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Fair enough, but the rest of us are forced to take a wider view ;-)

Greg.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Similar studies shows that in the UK and you can even work it out for yourself although some shops throw in an extended warranty for free e.g. John Lewis 3 years for TVs.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Which leaves the retailer with the problem if it can be shown there is a manufacturing fault as under consumer protection legislation a purchaser can make a claim against the retailer up to 6 years in England and Wales or 5 years in Scotland after buying the item.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

is that right ! Can you point me to the relevant legislation, must go back to my retailer mail pal and re-open our conversation !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"Alan P Dawes" wrote

That is strictly correct, but the item only has to be of saleable quality for a 'reasonable period' of time taking into account the price paid.

For instance it would be totally unreasonable to expect a 'biro' to work for

5 or 6 years.

A manufacturer is unlikely to leave a retailer in an impossible situation, and I believe that Hornby were giving a certain retailer credits for 'faulty' Zero 1 controllers for a number of years after they were discontinued.

I wasn't impressed when I heard that same retailer was wondering around swapmeets in the North of England buying they up cheaply so he could send them back for credit.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

A quick guide is on the gov site: