Hornby's new Stanier coaches.

No. The LMS didn't go for buckeye couplers and Pullman gangways (which go hand-in-hand). That was left to the more progressive eastern and southern Groups. Ironic considering the Midland ran the first UK Pullmans.

Cheers, Francis K.

Reply to
Francis Knight

But then LMS 1st was equal to Pullman on any other region so there wasn't much demand for the latter. IIRC Stanier 3rd Class coaches were equal in comfort to 1st Class everywhere else.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Strangely and coincidentally recommended on another site that I used yesterday and in an entirely unconnected subject :-

Monaco Optix XR

about half way down the page - it calibrates monitors to true colour.

So if you really are serious about on-screen colour?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Hancock

"kim" wrote

I think you're confusing the LMS with the Midland. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

I'm old enough to have seen coaches of various manufacture and ages in use on London-Midland region and as I remember it they were all the same shade of maroon. Since that is the way I remember it, that is the way I want to model it. Any variation in tone would simply look all wrong. For example, those sisters who are the same age as me would ask me why the coaches were all "different colours?"

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

That's my recollection too Kim, and although there was undoubtedly some minor variation due to weathering, there was certainly none of this neo-purple that seems to be the case with weathered maroon coaches in preservation.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It was accepted that some of the railway paint shops turned out slight variations in the basic colour spec, this is quite normal were they might well be mixing their own paint from a 'colour scheme' - the same can still happen even today, although it is getting more rare due to computer controlled scales and colour (pigment) spectrum mapping.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Keith, The trap about looking at the stephen hull colour charts is that with all the colours close together in columns means that when looking at one particular colour the adjacent colours affect your perception of the selected colour. To get the correct perception one should view the selected colour through an opening in a dark grey or black mask, this cancels the effect of the adjacent colours. This would be difficult to do with the tiny chips on the hull colour charts. Looking at the hull BS chart, the Maroon No.541 looks almost black, as you mentioned in your post. This shows the problem with working from material on the computer screen. Regards, Bill.

"Keith" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
William Pearce

Another link to check out I'm afraid. If you would like to have a look at some examples of how your colour perception can get screwed up :-

Go in through Amusements and then optical illusions.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Hancock

colour

AIUI colour correction, the surrounding colour needs to be a neutral

*mid grey*, not "dark grey or black" (or anything to the white side either).

As for paint, the only real method in colour matching is to look at a colour swatch of the paint it's self, or in some cases a printed (ink) version that has been matched to the shade of paint.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I'd be dubious about anything apart from a painted swatch if you were being really particular about the shades. About twenty years ago, I worked for a printing ink supplier, being responsible for dealing with all customer dealings between the Humber/Morecambe Bay and Scottish Borders. We had a particularily tricky problem in that one client wished to have a single ink mixed in his house colours to cover all his printing requirements. The original match was done on a sample of 80gsm paper, and approved by the customer- a few weeks later we started complaints back from him, as he found the colour didn't look the same when printed onto cardboard boxes, coated card etc. Our chief chemst had to explain to him that he would have to have a slightly different formulation for each substrate if he wanted the colours to appear identical. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Hmm. What has comfort to do with the drawgear used on a coach? Unless it's an accountant-inspired trade-off. But even then, comfy cushions may not be of much comfort(!) in a derailment, if the drawgear allows the coaches to over-ride each other. Buckeyes were very good at holding the coaches in line.

Cheers, Francis K.

Reply to
Francis Knight

Indeed, but the printed swatch would have had the ink formulated against the original paint and the swatch backing card IYSWIM?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Having got back from my Christmas break refreshed and having actually got some modelling done, I would like to apologise to Mr Turner for my remarks earlier in this post. You didn't deserve that John, I appreciate the help and advice I have gleaned from your various posts on here and in future I will refrain from posting on here whilst having a strop about something else.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart.

An honest reply and apology, must have him stuffed!

Reply to
Piemanlarger

"Stuart." wrote

No need to apologise mate but thank you anyway, I'm thick skinned and have my off days too! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner