MREx Poll 2005...

That's a nasty cough you have, Enzo.

Reply to
MartinS

His meaning was clear and the 'question' was rhetorical, and thus you're splitting hairs Kim ! :~P

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

May be up your way John, I wouldn't expect it any different, but down in the Southern Rly's home-lands I suspect it's quite different. OTOH the same used to said about LNER models, with the exception of the Flying Scotsman and Mallard....

Again it will be a regional thing, you might not sell one but down south I'm sure they will, how many people modelling the GWR have bought a LNER K3 (for example) - they're more likely to buy a "yet another pannier tank" or perhaps a LMS or Southern loco depending on their layouts location.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

As a matter of interest, might I ask what are your perennial best-selling locos?

Andy Kirkham Glasgow

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

":::Jerry::::" wrote

That doesn't explain why my mail order customers don't buy Southern items though, and they're spread around the UK and the rest of the (mainly English speaking) world.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Not many used to model the LNER, unless they were keen kit / scratch builders, before Bachmann came along and filled a gap in the market. You can't model a region using RTR stock unless the stock for that region is there to be bought - in short this is a variation on the chicken or egg question...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

< SNIP >

Well, off the top of my head the following LNER classes are around in RTR - perhaps not current production, perhaps not wonderful scale reproductions of the real thing, but certainly readily available: A1, A3, A4, B1, B12, B17, D49, J39, J52, J72, J83, J94, K3, O6, O7, V1, V2, V3 plus all the standard classes that ran there. I've probably missed some out, and if you shop around there's that funny

0-6-2T thingy from Hornby Dublo, another one from Gaiety (remember them?) and an alleged J50 from Lima. Not perfect, but doesn't seem a bad selection.

TOS

Reply to
The Old Salt

Splitting hairs? The words "pot", "kettle" and a very dark colour come to mind . . . . .

:-)

TOS

Reply to
The Old Salt

I know. It just annoys me that so many people misquote dear old Mac the Knife.

(kim)

"I don't trust Gattling guns, they were invented by a damn confederate" [George C. Custer]

Reply to
kim

"Andy Kirkham" wrote

Best seller of all time - Thompson B1 4-6-0 - by a legendery mile.

The following have all sold extremely well

Panniers (Bachmann & Hornby) Ivatt 2-6-2T BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4T V1/V3 2-6-2T J39 0-6-0 V2 2-6-2 WD 2-8-0 A1/A3 4-6-2 (in various guises) A4 4-6-2 (mainly Mallard) Class 55 diesels (Bachmann) Class 25 diesels (Bachmann) Class 20 diesels (Bachmann) Class 08 diesels (Bachmann) Class 47 diesels (Heljan)

Note, there's a distinct shortage of Hornby loco products in amongst that lot.

Best selling coaches:

Bachmann Mk1s in various guises.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That's an interesting list. I'm surprised the Black 5 is not more popular, given the geographical spread of the real ones. The V1/V3 tank is also a surprise, unless there are more folk modelling the Glasgow and Newcastle suburban systems than I realised ;-) I always vote for a ROD 2-8-0, and occasionally there are rumours of people taking measurements of the preserved example, and murmurings of one in 'the next year or two', but I will have to be patient.

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

In message , The Old Salt may have written...

Ah but how many of them are up to modern standards?

A1: Current, Great A3: Not Ready Yet (the New Hornby One) A4: Current, Great. B1: Current (sometimes), Good. B12: Current?, But still more of a 1970s toy. B17: As B12. D49: As B12. J39: Current, Fine model. J52: Current, as B12, but those awful wheels! J72: Not too bad, but showing its age. J83: As J52, and whats with the Jinty style cab windows, it should be spectacle plates! J94: Current, Nice Model. K3: Current, Great Model. O6: Erg, never heard of this in RTR, when and who produced it? O7: As above. V1: Current, nice model. V2: Current, nice model.

So out of all that, if I was to buy LNER stock tomorrow, all I'd buy would be A1, A4, B1, J39, J94, K3, V1, V2. Thats 8 classes, and if I wanted to model in my local area (East Scotland), my choices are eradicated further, to A1, A4, B1, V1, V2. Only a handful of K3s were based at St Magarets and J39s were almost unheard of up here, we of course had the J38s. In my opinion the GWR seems to be romping away with it, the lucky beggars.....

Reply to
James Christie

Or perhaps the Hull area ?.... :~)

I find it very strange that it hasn't been produced (!), not only would it have allowed a large pre grouping GCR loco to be retailed at little extra cost but the model could also be issued in both LNER and GWR versions.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , ":::Jerry::::" may have written...

Not to mention a possible export market to Australia. Hang, but then it would have to be to HO. Better not open that can of worms again..... :-)

Reply to
James Christie

And the Edinburgth area :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie
[snip] models of LNER prototypes

[snip]

The O6 is the Stanier 8F and the O7 the Riddles WD 2-8-0 when in LNER wartime livery.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Also LNWR/LMS had 50, which lasted till about 1933. The LSWR had a few (17) on loan in 1920, but I doubt they ever got any interesting livery.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

What happened to the N2?

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

That was the "funny 0-6-2T thingy from Hornby Dublo" and the half decent model from Mainline / Dapol / Hornby !

Come on Bachmann, how's about's a J50, seeing that you've given the LMS people a decent Jinty ?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , The Old Salt writes

Black is not a colour, but the absence of colour. So you can't be referring to "the pot calling the kettle black" then.

Reply to
John Sullivan