MREx Poll 2005...

In article , :::Jerry:::: writes

It is down to time. Split chassis locos take a lot longer to assemble. Graham Hubbard once quoted me the number of split chassis locos Kader could assemble in a day and the comparative number of Blue Riband ones during the same period. The difference between them was considerable. I wish I could find the figures. I have got them stored away somewhere.

Today, the output of both Bachmann and Hornby is regulated by the amount of factory time they can negotiate with the companies in China who manufacture for them. They are granted a certain number of days a year and must make the best use they can of it. The quicker models can be made, the more they can get produced in their allotted factory time and the more they can get on the market to meet demand from modellers. After all, there is constant complaining from the public over the delays in models arriving and short runs when they do.

As for why some split chassis models are still in the catalogue; there has not been time to replace them yet but retailers are telling Bachmann that there is still a demand for them. Consequently they still turn out the odd batch to keep us satisfied. Often it is just one version offered to keep sales alive while the emphasis is on getting Blue Riband models out.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Hammond

Thanks for that information, Pat. I'm sure I share the concerns of some modellers that some models which are currently available with a split chassis may not be made with a Blue Riband one if they end production of them due to these time constraints. If it meant that models would cost a few pounds more I for one wouldnt have a problem, as it would also mean a better running model, easier to convert to DCC etc.

Reply to
John Ruddy

Thanks for the information. Time is money and it makes sense to build models cheaper if the quality can be maintained or improved. Only one steam locomotive to date has been produced in China for my prototype, the New South Wales railways. It had a split cassis, and it running qualities were OK, but not great. It used pressed brass bearings, and if your models were using these, I would expect them to wear out fairly quickly. Clearances on this model were also excessive in my view. The same Chinese factory's drawings of NSW garret

a diecast single chassis per locomotive unit. It seems the split chassis might be history as far as RTR goes.

Reply to
Terry Flynn