MREx Poll 2005...

Yes, so the MN's were also an odd choice too then ! The Q1's were seen in all areas other than the small (route miles) section west of Salisbury.

But few route miles compared to the main lines of each of the old Western, Central and Eastern sections. And how many MN's or LN's worked into Padstow ?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Including mine, its impossible to assemble the chassis square as the two halves don't match. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

In message , John Turner writes

Isn't that why the pannier on the Island of Sodor was called "Duck"?

Reply to
John Sullivan

Yes, but not because of the ex Mainline model.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

IIRC MNs couldn't run on those western lines due to their axle weight being too great...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Yes that was my point, and hence the later WC / BB class loco's - you had more chance in seeing a Q1 in Padstow than a MN !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Doesn't surprise me!

Reply to
Badger

Actually, your all wrong.

The absence of colour is transparency, or 'colourless'. for example, normal glass and water are termed colourless.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

Rumor has it that it was due to Gaieity model doing that.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

I haven't been following this discussion, but it looks like a hole I once fell into! I'm an artist, used to applying colours to flat surfaces, while my friend was a TV technician. We had this sort of argument for some time, until we realized that he was talking about _projected_ light colours, while I was talking about surfaces that _absorb_ various colours of light from white.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

No he is not.

Glass and water is far from colourless, otherwise you would wouldn't see them, true black is nothing - just like Space is nothing - colour is something that has reflected certain parts of the light spectrum.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

My understanding of colour is as follows:

If an object reflects all wavelengths of light in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum equally, then an object appears white. If an object absorbs all wavelengths of light in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum, then an object appears black. If an object reflects some wavelengths of light in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum, then an object appears a colour appropriate to that combination, for example, yellow green, pink etc. If an object neither reflects not absorbs (allows light to pass through it) all wavelengths of light in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum, then an object appears 'colourless'. In this case the colour seen is whatever is behind the object.

There is usually a distorsion, due to behavoir of light through different mediums, and the angle at which it hits a surface.

Does this make sense to everyone?

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

In message , Craig Douglas writes

Can't speak for others, but it makes sense to me.

Reply to
John Sullivan

It works for me!

Reply to
Greg.P.

"Pat Hammond" wrote

Thanks for clarifying that Pat, and in that case I unreservedly withdraw my comment.

Having said that, in the past Hornby's market research has provided some very starnge choices of models. I'd have thought that a far more sensible way of gauging potential demand for new models would be to ask the retailers what they think would sell.

Whilst I'm sure that would be only marginally more representative, it would offer some degree of nationwide opinion, and at the end of the day it is the retailer who has to decide what to stock and how many to buy.

The new class 31 is a case in point. This has sold far better in my shop than any other recent new Hornby release. In fact we've just been back today to order more after only a matter of a couple of weeks, despite having ordered far more than any other new Hornby loco.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

So it *is* due to the "cost of components or profit", or don't they regard the labour costs of assembling such models as a 'component' of the manufacturing process ?!...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

So you still have not explained why Bachmann are still producing models that they 'want to get out of producing'.

And so far as time goes, I don't see it, the new models have far more parts and far more screws to fit in more inaccessible places and then some parts to be glued on than any of the split chassis models. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

How about finding a clue and replying to the correct message twit, you snip out all I did say and try to attribute remarks that I didn't say to me - in fact remarks I disagree with !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Pat, You completely miss my point, which is that Bachmann are free to get out of split chassis construction if that is their desire, but they are still in the catalogue and they must therefor want to make and sell them. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

I couldn't agree more. Indeed, the views of retailers have always provided feedback as became obvious while researching the latest book - 'Hornby Railways'.

From what I can make out, Hornby draw in information from all available sources, including retailers, comments made by the public at exhibitions and polls like that in MREmag each year. No one source sets the pattern of what they will produce.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Hammond