Plastic Rail

Does anybody know of a supplier of plastic moulded OO gauge rail? I thought Plastruct might do it, but either my search skills are
deficient or they don't. I want it for manufacturing check rails - so if you have a better idea please feel free to pitch in. I usually use filed-down metal rail, but I want some which is non-conducting.
Thanks,
Guy -- http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
Remember: a bottle of wine needs to breathe. If its not breathing, give immediate mouth to mouth resuscitation.
On 02/02/2005 11:51, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote,

I suppose the obvious questions to answer your question (!) are: why do you want plastic check rails, and why do you need to file down metal rails?
If we had a better idea of why you want to do this, maybe we can come up with a solution for you.
Cheers
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

I want plastic because I can't be arsed to make isolating sections for the check rails as well as the running rails through the crossovers, and I file down the metal because check rail is flat on one side (or at least it is at Didcot Parkway). Flattening one side also makes it easier to fit at more or less the correct distance. A flat-sided rail positioned against the chairs gives about the same separation between check rail and running rail as you get on Peco points. I am working with predominantly ready-made track and points, using check rails for some home-made trackwork and across the joins in the lift-the-flap access bridges, because experience indicates that this is worth doing.
Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

But the check rail should be the same polarity as the running rail? So why islolate them?
-- Cheers Roger T.
Roger T. wrote:

I can't figure it out either. I think he's referring to isolating gaps. I guess he doesn't solder the check rails to the running rails, or something, so he risks having the wheels cause a short. I'm trying to figure out how he builds the checkrails. Or the whole crossover for that matter. Maybe he cuts li'l bits of rail, instead of building the whole thing solid and cutting the isolating gaps afterwards. If he's trying to make a visually prototypical crossover, he'd pretty well have to do it that way. Not like me - I prefer building everything in one solid piece, and cutting any needed electrical gaps afterwards.
Anyhow, for a crossover, you just need gaps in the rails between the frogs, and those don't have to be anywhere near the checkrails or wong rails. For a crossing, the easiest method is to cut gaps in the four sides bteween the frogs. If the checkrails are soldered to the running rails (as they should be IMO), you just cut through them too.
Sorry, still don't see the poblem. Maybe OP should describe how he builds a crossover.
"Wolf Kirchmeir"

[Snip].
Ditto here. I build everything solid, even to flooding the "frog" and check rails with soldier and the using a standard hacksaw blade to clean out the flange ways in both the "frog" and check (guard) rails. Then and only then do I cut the rail gaps.
The few times I use any abrasive to clean my track, which is very rare, I simply go back and repaint check (guard) rails and "frogs" a suitable rusty colour.
-- Cheers Roger T.

<snip>
check
What the f*** is a 'frog', are you modelling pond life or the French ?...
Crossing 'V', if you don't mind !
":::Jerry::::"

You'll notice that "frog" was in quotation marks.
You'll also notice that I have a working model railway, with hand laid track to boot. You?
-- Cheers Roger T.

?...
If you bothered to find a clue you will see that Crossing Vee is the correct PW terminology, mention 'frog' to a PW gang and they will either be totally baffled as to what you are talking about, think you *are talking about pond life or the French...

track
In the process of building a new one, after some years, but 15 - 20 years ago not only did I model to P4 standards [1] and build my own track I also was involved in the planning and laying of track on the 12inch to the foot scale.
[1] it was being involved in full size track that drove me to adopt the P4 standard, as I couldn't reconcile the look of the 'course' scale track that OO & EM use.

that
--

Except the visual difference between EM and P4 track is minimal. At normal
layout viewing distance you cannot see the difference. EM is not

You've been Jerry-d - no coherent arguments, just some abuse. :-/
--
*** http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/ ***
Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk)

Crossing "nose" is, I believe, the correct expression.
John.
On 03/02/2005 16:26, John Turner wrote,

Just to be pedantic (me?), the nose refers to the actual sharp end of the Vee, which isn't actually sharp at all, but should be blunt. The whole assembly including the Vee and wing rails is called a common crossing. But whatever, it definitely isn't a "frog". A frog is a small green amphibian thingy that has no relevance to model or real railways.
Someone will now produce a document dated 1854 from XYZ Railway referring to the crossing as a frog...
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

http://www.railway-technology.com/contractors/track/eae /
:)
Pete
--
http://www.bristol-rail.co.uk : railways around Bristol.
http://www.bugpics.co.uk : DMU/EMU gallery.
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 I wrote:

Then mutley wrote:

To which I reply:
Smarta*se :-)
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

HMI, see they also refer to "switches", a North Americanism, and not "turnouts" nor even "points".
Interesting.
So, I guess I can continue to hand lay my switches with frogs filled with soldier?
-- Cheers Roger T.
"Roger T." wrote:

When did the French military become cannibals???
"Greg.P."

Rats. Bloody spill chukka.
-- Cheers Roger T.

Let me make this clear, if I catch you hand switching frogs filled with solder I shall contact the RSPCA upon the instant. :-)
--

All the best,

Chris Wilson

Yes, for a turnout the crossing is a 'common crossing', apposed to (IIRC) the obtuse crossing found on the 'diamond' of a diamond-crossing, the component though is called a Crossing Vee.