Plastic Rail

Jerry,

Switches are part of UK terminology. The type of switch is one of the factors used in designating a point or turnout - e.g. a B6 uses a B switch, an A6 uses and A switch, etc.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

No doubt you know what FOAD means, please comply...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

You are quite correct, but they do refer to shunting as 'switching'....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

No, sorry, I don't know what it means. Would you care to enlighten us?

T O S

Reply to
The Old Salt

You forgot the last three letters of you signature.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

i bet you've got no friends

Reply to
Zardoz

German: "herzstueck", same meaning.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Still asking , "Why the belligerent attitude?"

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Jerry.

I lived for 21 years in the UK. I'm probably as knowledgeable about UK terms and UK railway practices as anyone else on this list. I've also lived in Canada for more than 21 years and am probably equally knowledgeable about North American practice. I'm at least "bilingual", are you?

Learning about railways or anything else is good, no matter where you live. Perhaps you should try to learn more? I've noticed how you criticise my use of what you think is terminology used only in North America, yet these same terms appear on the web sites of UK track contractors? "Switch", "Frog" etc. How do you answer that?

And, once again I ask, "Why the belligerent attitude?"

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

"Roger T." wrote

Image?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

WTF has that lot got to do with things, if you start using North America railroad terms in a UK group (and one that is 99 percent UK railway based) then you should expect people to correct you. No if's or but's - period (to borrow a US expression).

Because there is an awful lot of ignorance in the model railway 'world', not helped by various magazine editors using the term 'frog' over the years, as I said, ignorance is bliss. If you go to a site that knows what it is talking about [1], such as

you will see that 'frog' is not used to refer to what is a crossing vee.

[1] IIRC C&L was original started by an ex PW man.

IMO it is you who has the attitude problem.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I presume you mean "the last three letters of *your*" i.e. my signature.

T O S - The Old Salt - easy really. In fact, if you look in the "from" field of the posting it does actually tell you that.

Anyway, you still haven't explained what FOAD means, or the connection between it and "alt" - the last three letters of my signature.

T O S

Reply to
The Old Salt

":::Jerry::::"

And exactly how? I've been nothing but polite to you. Can you say the same thing?

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

In message , Paul Boyd writes

Well, I looked in "The railway dictionary" by Alan A Jackson, and there it is defined as "The 'V' type of crossing in general use. In the US, a crossing", which implies that the word is used outside the US to refer to just the V crossing, and in the US to any type of crossing.

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , William Pearce writes

Even more confusion: it is a device used on trolley/contact wires of electric tramways to allow the passage of current collectors along either the main or a branch wire where routes diverge.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Fornicate Off And Demise, or words to that effect. Well, you did ask.

Reply to
MartinS

Nice one, Martin. That lets Jerry off the hook. Notice how he's melted away & not managed to answer, despite a couple of requests? Mind you, there's still the second question needing a reply if he shows up again.

T O S

Reply to
The Old Salt

Piss off troll.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::"

You really do misunderstand people, don't you? I don't know if you do it deliberately or just don't realise you're doing it. I was never "arguing the toss" with you over the use of :frog" Vs "crossing", I was agreeing with you but you seemingly failed to see that in your zeal to argue and be rude.

Besides, many people and companies in the UK use the term "frog". And, as I have repeatedly pointed out, I put the word "frog" in quotes because I know it's not the correct technical term but one that is in common usuage.

Even if I was disagreeing with you, which I wasn't, arguing is not being rude. Call names, as you do, IS being rude! And yes, then as now, I'm being polite. You on the other hand seem to have a problem.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

"Roger T." wrote

Jerry's been in and out of my blocked senders list for this type of behaviour on several occasions. Currently he not on it, but he's flirting close to be blocked again, but the trouble is if one blocks him then you tend to get his stuff anyway because others reply to it, so I don't really see the point.

I would be nice if he didn't feel the need to come up with this macho type, belligerent image all the time.

John.

Reply to
John Turner