Plastic Rail

":::Jerry::::" wrote

No Jerry, the problem started when you started hitting everyone with profanities.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well, there's another sensitive, carefully reasoned response. Oh dear, what a state to get into!

T O S

Reply to
The Old Salt

So what was your reply all about then, you could have just said something like - Yes, sorry, I should have used the term Crossing Vee and not 'frog' - but you preferred to try and save face IMO, that is what annoyed me. In effect you *were* doubting what I said.

And unless you use the correct terminology people will continue to live in ignorance, hence why I said 'Ignorance is bliss'. Please don't dumb down the terminology, if people can't understand it they can ask (or chose to stay ignorant [without knowledge] ).

You were not just arguing, you were doubting my words even though you knew I was correct.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Jerry,

If we are talking about the model railway scene in the UK, then 'frog' is an accepted term. You only have to look at the designation of RTR pointwork - Insulfrog and Electrofrog - to see it in use.

Up till the advent of more accurate track laying with the inception of P4, Scale7, 2mm, etc, when the UK prototype trackwork nomenclature started being used, 'frog' was the word commonly used to describe a common crossing, and it still is today in a lot of UK modelling circles.

If you care to download this PDF file from the Peco web site as an example, you will see it used to describe the common crossing.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

":::Jerry:::

I never argued.

I never said you were wrong.

I NEVER doubted your word, not for one instance.

Nothing I wrote could be taken as doubting your word. If that's how you interpret what I wrote, then you really do have a problem, don't you?

I've tried to be polite but you just seem determined to make everything an argument. As you seem paranoid and are convinced people, not just me, are arguing with you, this conversation is now at and end.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Is this the five minute argument or the full half-hour?

Reply to
MartinS

What nonsense is this?

A manufacturer of model track components is a more authoritative source of nomenclature than a manufacturer of the real thing? Or the users of the real thing?

Someone tell him he's dreaming.

Reply to
mark_newton

You utter idiot, you now sod all about this subject if you think UK PW staff refer to a 'frog' and not a Crossing Vee.

alt.troll is down the road near the slim covered caves, were you obviously come from.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Yes, right next door to a good shop that sells dictionaries, Jerry. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I'll remember that jibe the next time I'm working a CWR train.

I don't know how they refer to it, and neither do you by the looks of it. What would you call the UK manufacturers that refer to it as a frog, utter idiots as well? I'm sure they'll defer to authority...

Ooh, misspelled insults! Must have hit a nerve, eh?

Reply to
mark_newton

PW terminology is an interesting subject, I don't understand why you are being so stroppy about it. It varies a lot, but the usual meanings are:

A Crossing Vee comprises a point rail and a splice rail, forming a "v" shape.

A Frog assembly comprises a Crossing Vee and 2 wing rails, all bolted together.

A Common Crossing strictly comprises a Frog and a set of 2 check rails, although the term is often used to mean just the Frog. (Check rails were called Guard rails on GWR and BR(W), and also in North America.)

In the UK the term Frog was common in the 19th century, but died out in the 20th century, although it continues in use in other English-speaking countries.

But nowadays the use of cast one-piece crossings means that the term Frog is also coming back into UK use to describe them.

There are also alternative names for an Obtuse Crossing, e.g. Elbow Crossing on GWR and BR(W), K-crossing, and K-frog.

In Templot I have adopted the terms "V-crossing" and "K-crossing", which have the advantage of being meaningful worldwide.

regards,

Martin.

---------------------------------- email : snipped-for-privacy@templot.com web :

Martin Wynne

This isn't an argument it's simply contradiction! ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

No it isn't!

Reply to
MartinS

"Chris Wilson"

No it isn't.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Yes it is, look you're doing it again!

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Yes it is, look you're doing it again!

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Chris Wilson"

No I'm not.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

You are, now look I paid for an argument.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

You most certainly did not.

-- Cheers Roger T.