Plastic Rail

Yes, for a turnout the crossing is a 'common crossing', apposed to (IIRC) the obtuse crossing found on the 'diamond' of a diamond-crossing, the component though is called a Crossing Vee.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It's called a frog because it enables one rail to "hop" over the other.

Reply to
MartinS

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

Aren't they called "elbows". That's what the GWR called them, according to that recently-published book on their trackwork.

Reply to
John Sullivan

On 03/02/2005 18:49, John Sullivan wrote,

I would go along with that.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Frog is the North American term for what in Britain is known as a common crossing.

a web page with references to detailed turnout drawings from, not only the UP but C&O and others. All are much more recent than 1854, more like 100 years later.

These are large detailed files in .pdf format. And all clearly refer to the frog.

Alex. W. Stirrat

Reply to
AlStirrat

On 03/02/2005 20:15, AlStirrat wrote,

Ah - but this group refers to UK railway practise, but it does answer the question of where the term "frog" comes from, perhaps.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Could be a GWRism, I've never heard BR (SR) people calling them that and I can't remember that term being used in the various P4 track building articles I read back in the mid 80's.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , AlStirrat may have written...

C&O, Callander and Oban? Didn't know they had much influence in these matters....

:-)

Reply to
James Christie

You've been Jerry-d - no coherent arguments, just some abuse. :-/

Reply to
Rich Mackin

"mutley"

HMI, see they also refer to "switches", a North Americanism, and not "turnouts" nor even "points".

Interesting.

So, I guess I can continue to hand lay my switches with frogs filled with soldier?

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

When did the French military become cannibals???

Reply to
Greg.P.

Let me make this clear, if I catch you hand switching frogs filled with solder I shall contact the RSPCA upon the instant. :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Just to add to my confusion:

:)

In addition, a frog is the hollow in a brick ..... those bricks that have hollows that is.

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

"Greg.P."

Rats. Bloody spill chukka.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

MartinS wrote: [...]

It's called a frog 'cuz it looks the thing on a hrose's hoof that's called a frog. And that's called a frog 'cuz someone thunk it looked like a pair a frog's legs. Ahy he thunk that is lost in the msits of history. Or 80 proof whisky. Or summat like that.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

----- Original Message ----- From: ":::Jerry::::"

Jerry, I really don't know why you've assumed this rather billigerant attitude. I know a crossing is called a crossing, but most modellers and many professional railwaymen, on this side of the pond at least, call them "frogs", which I why, as I stated above, I put "frog" in quotation marks.

Great to hear that you are building a model railway and especially to the more difficult P4 standards.

As for 12 inches to the foot scale, I too have spent many an hour laying track with a shovel, lining bar, 25 ton jacks, spike maul, and my back.

I have also spend countless hours as a locomotive engineer switching (shunting) with 1000 to 1750hp diesels and as a passenger train engineer at a Canadian museum, running both diesel and steam.

Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Note that 'frog' also describes the fitting on a soldier's belt from which the scabbard of a bayonet or sword is suspended, and it is also the depression in the lower face of a house brick. More confusion! Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

Further confusion -the Frogs call them 'Couer de aiguilles' (literally 'Heart of the Points') Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Ignorance is bliss, I also expect that you can't (or couldn't) see much need in attending skhool.....

Arh, NOW I see, you are from across the 'pond', were turnouts are switches and crossing vee's are frogs, rec.model.railroad is next door - otherwise accept British terminology !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

< big snip >

and he also wrote

Pots, kettles and a very dark colour come to mind . . . .

Jerry - perhaps you should heed a few biblical words of wisdom. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

If you don't understand that, try "Go forth and multiply".

T O S

Reply to
The Old Salt