Teenage Spirit

In the Feb. / March 09 Hornby Collectors Club mag they have an article on the repainted EWS / DB Schenker Class 60 No 60074. in the colours of The Teenage Cancer Trust.

Rail Express have commissioned a limited run of 1100 models of the loco .... the charity will benefit financially from the sales.

I like the model for three reasons :-

It will help a worthy charity

It is a striking model in it's bright blue livery

It will help show, if just a little, that we are a group of caring men & women who are not just 'playing with model trains'.

The real item has been out & about since this time last year and they also have a photo of it at work. Pity about the 'worn' buffers.

With DB Schenker being a German company I would have thought they may have given their 'first' loco SS buffers :-)

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

SS = Stainless Steel or something? Its just that the letters SS and their association with things German can be interpreted in quite a different way by many.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

: : SS = Stainless Steel or something? Its just that the letters SS and : their association with things German can be interpreted in quite a : different way by many. :

Indeed, many people don't realise that the Jaguar Car Company, before WW2, was actually called "SS Cars"...

Reply to
Jerry

I thought it was not quite as straight forward as that, the Jaguar name running alongside the SS name for about 10 years until about 1945 when finally the association with the German organisation became to much to ignore.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

: >

: >: : >: SS = Stainless Steel or something? Its just that the letters : >SS and : >: their association with things German can be interpreted in : >quite a : >: different way by many. : >: : >

: >Indeed, many people don't realise that the Jaguar Car Company, : >before WW2, was actually called "SS Cars"... : I thought it was not quite as straight forward as that, the Jaguar : name running alongside the SS name for about 10 years until about 1945 : when finally the association with the German organisation became to : much to ignore. :

"Jaguar" was originally a name of a *product* (car) made by SS Cars Ltd. The abbreviation "SS" came out of the original name, "Sallow Sidecars".

Reply to
Jerry

: : "Jaguar" was originally a name of a *product* (car) made by SS : Cars Ltd. The abbreviation "SS" came out of the original name, : "Sallow Sidecars". :

Knew that 'looked' wrong! Swallow Side Cars Ltd.

Reply to
Jerry

It was never offically said that "SS" stood for "Swallow Sidecars Ltd." I think the reason for that was that they used Standard Motors motors and chassis so the possibility existed that "SS" stood for "Standard Sports". Lyons kept his supplier happy!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Sorry G.Harman ( damduck ) yes SS = Stainless Steel

I'll assume it's a typing error but 'Sallow Sidecars' should read 'Swallow Sidecars' of Blackpool later to become Swallow Sidecar & Coachbuilding Company.

In a way they could have been called 'kit car manufacturers' in their early years as they produced vehicles using chassis etc. from other manufacturers like Standard, Austin & Fiat and produced new body shells.

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

: > "Jerry" wrote in message : > news:gp6k86$glh$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org... : > : : > : > : : > : "Jaguar" was originally a name of a *product* (car) made by SS : > : Cars Ltd. The abbreviation "SS" came out of the original name, : > : "Sallow Sidecars". : > : : >

: > Knew that 'looked' wrong! Swallow Side Cars Ltd. : >

: : It was never offically said that "SS" stood for "Swallow Sidecars Ltd." : I think the reason for that was that they used Standard Motors motors : and chassis so the possibility existed that "SS" stood for "Standard : Sports". : Lyons kept his supplier happy! :

They *were* called "SS cars Ltd." before the war, what the SS stood for is neither here nor there and it's not even relevant to the discussion in hand.

Reply to
Jerry

QUOTE " 'Jaguar' was originally a name of a *product* (car) made by SS Cars Ltd. The abbreviation 'SS' came out of the original name, 'Sallow Sidecars'. "

QUOTE " They *were* called "SS cars Ltd" before the war, what the SS stood for is neither here nor there and it's not even relevant to the discussion in hand. "

????????????? .... and can someone remind me WHO brought the subject of SS Cars up ?

I was once told by a vintage Jag owner SS stood for 'Standard Special' ?

Now back to model loco's .... Rail Express's last commission, a Calder Hall Power Station Class 31 looks a smart loco too.

On the subject of coal, sort off, I see from the Hornby.Com site they have bundled together the Skaledale Coal Drop etc. and reduced it in price by about 45%. Not selling too well ?

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

No one is disputing that.

Remind me, who was it who first introduced "what SS stood for" to the discussion?

Have you never heard of thread drift?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

: Have you never heard of thread drift?

Yes thanks, but I don't think that you have ever heard of (never mind the meaning of) the phrase "in the context".

Reply to
Jerry

..and DB Schenker have just put it into storage due to the downturn in traffic levels.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

" ..and DB Schenker have just put it into storage due to the downturn in traffic levels. "

Better put my anorak & train spotters book away then :-) ( or give it back to 'JC' ).

QUOTE " Yes thanks, but I don't think that you have ever heard of (never mind the meaning of) the phrase 'in the context'. " I've got one for you ! " on the back foot "

( If you think someone MAY never have heard a phrase and then say "never mind the meaning of" what's the point in saying it ? D'oh )

Now, once again, back to model loco's .....

These special commissions / limited editions of loco's & rolling stock, based on past issues, are they a 'good' financial investment ie do you get at least you money back ?

The 'Teenage Spirit' is =A3100 incl p & p.

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

snipped-for-privacy@v39g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

I know perfectly well what "in contect" means.

What is at issue the fact that you seem to think it's OK to introduce a theme (the meaning of SS), which may or may not have been relevant in the original context, and then slap down anyone who tries to follow it up.

Just another example of Jerry's character.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You wouldn't know about context if it reared up and ripped you f*cking trolling bollox off - assuming that you're old enough to have any that could be found.

Reply to
Jerry

Standard employees were adamant it stood for "Standard Swallow". Not saying they were right, only that's what they said.

And the factory was always referred to as "Standard's", never "Triumph"!

(kim)

Reply to
kim