Teenage Spirit

Triumph and Standard amalgamated about 1956. (from memory) The last Triumph Triumphs were the razor edged designs of the late

1940s/early 50s. The last Standard Vanguard design appeared with the sleeve bore 4 cylinder motor and then got the 6 cylinder motor for the last year and a bit before the "Triumph 2000" replaced it. The TR series got the 4 cylinder motor.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

It didn't stand for anything, officially. The company was registered as "SS Cars Ltd" with "SS" being part of the name itself, not an abbreviation of the name. If it stood for anything, it would most likely have been "Swallow Sidecar", which was the predecesor company of SS. But the cars made by SS Cars Ltd used engines from the Standard Motor Company, so employees of Standard may well have been under the impression that their comapny name formed part of the derivation (and it's possible they were at least partly right).

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

: : It didn't stand for anything, officially. The company was registered : as "SS Cars Ltd" with "SS" being part of the name itself, not an : abbreviation of the name. If it stood for anything, it would most : likely have been "Swallow Sidecar", which was the predecesor company : of SS. But the cars made by SS Cars Ltd used engines from the Standard : Motor Company, so employees of Standard may well have been under the : impression that their comapny name formed part of the derivation (and : it's possible they were at least partly right). :

No they would not, that's like thinking the 'R' in TVR stands for 'Rover' because they use what most call the "Rover V8" (in fact a ex Buick design bought by Rover in the 1960s, hence why the P5 and P6 models in the Rover range were suffixed with a 'B' where the engine was fitted), as you say, "SS Cars" came into existence at the same time that the demise Swallow Sidecar company name cessed to be used so it's almost certain that the two are directly linked.

Mark, stick to web authoring, something you *do* know something about...

Reply to
Jerry

SS and Standard were more closely linked than Rover and TVR, though, so it's not unreasonable that the SS name was chosen because it had multiple possible meanings - the ambiguity could well have been deliberate. The fact that Standard employees believed that to be the case does provide evidence to support such a hypothesis. It doesn't prove it to be the case (which is why I only said that it's possible they were at least partly right), but it's clearly not impossible either.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

I gave a sensible response to your post. In what way was that trolling?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

: : I gave a sensible response to your post.

That sir, is a matter of opinion...

Reply to
Jerry

For General Motors, SS means Super Sport.

Reply to
MartinS

That would be the Mayflower and Renown then.

Reply to
Keith W

Precisely!

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Weren't they 17th century sailing ships?

Reply to
MartinS

So who said Triumphs were modern??? =3D8^]

Reply to
Greg.Procter

The Romans were very good on triumphs

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

What about Moses?

"The roar of his Triumph was heard throughout the land."

Reply to
MartinS

" The Romans were very good on triumphs " So why did they build all those straight roads ?

Did you know 'Jerry' had a motorcycle named after him ?

He also reminds me of this one :-

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

The message from MartinS contains these words:

That was after the Lord had told him to "Come forth!" - a prime example of race-fixing. Moses was right to ignore Him!

Reply to
David Jackson

Trouble was he slipped and came fifth!

Krypsis

Reply to
Krypsis

Thought he was caught taking tablets....plus one or two of his race were stoned !

cheers, simon

Reply to
simon

I was once a proud Triumph owner, but to be honest the Mayflower and Renown were very much like 17th century sailing ships.

(rushes of to bomb shelter)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

"Greg.Procter" wrote

LOL - I once owned a TR4A, the only Triumph car I've ever owned. The Mayflowers would predate that by a little while, but I always thought they were 'interesting' looking cars - quite unlike anything else around in the late 1950s.

John.

Reply to
John Turner