Loosing 17KW

I began to wonder when we entered, 2-1/2 hours to get photographed & finger printed..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

With figures like that, there is a precedent to ban the use.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Nine people a year die from bee stings in the UK but they still haven't banned those buggers

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Yet.

Reply to
Tom

About the same number (30-60) that are hit by lightning every year in the British Isles. Although, to be fair, only about three per year die from the lightning strikes.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

But the MOT isn't retrospective. When my old cars come up for MOT the rules don't allow the inspector to say "put hazard warning lights on or you fail" or even insist on seat belts. If I choose not to have them that's my decision and my risk. They are tested in general on the rules that applied at the time it was built. I can strip the brakes down and rebuild it and get it tested for a flat charge of under £45. If the IEE and the government followed similar non retropective & fixed price logic I'd have more sympathy.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

They do that in Dublin airport. Very odd - end of hostilities, IRA disarm. Dublin start shoe inspections!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

There's a story going around that the reason electrical installations were put in the building regs is because an MPs daughter was killed due to a dodgy wiring job, so it only takes one!.

However... the story is untrue!, the legislation was already progressing through parliament when the accident happened but the press don't let a little thing like the truth get in the way of a good story 8-)

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Well haven't you heard, the risks are far greater now that we have had one Islamic outrage than when we were having IRA bombs going off in city centres on a regular basis. Well that's the justification for removing what few civil rights we have left so it must be true!

Greg

Reply to
Greg

A very popular story, they even teach it on the wiring courses, but it isn't true.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

And at Stansted too. It was shoes off on the way to Dublin last month, but oddly enough not on the way back.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

These 'accidents' obviously keep missing the real targets...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Still, hasn't the braintrust made commuting safer in London by banning ye olde double decker?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Nearly, they just sold off all the old red routemasters last month but forgot they had some new ones running around London.........

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

But what do they miss? Flew out of Manchester mid December with usual tatty flight bag that never been sorted in 4 years. Got to N Africa and first thing to fall out was an 8" table knife. Out of interest left it in but they spotted it on the way out and made me leave it behind.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Those same reports show that there were thousands of non-fatal electric shocks reported, but what proportion of shocks get reported?.

The other issues is fire, the official figures for 2003:

show that 2746 fires were caused by fixed wiring (distribution) and many thousands by various electrical appliances, though it doesn't say if they had electrical faults.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

You're a criminal 8-)

Well that's your decision, but there's one thing to consider, if you make a mistake and it burns down your house (a bit extreme but possible) your insurance company could refuse to pay out because you did work that was illegal. To my knowledge this hasn't been tested out yet as the changes in the law are very new, but it's expected to happen. Also if you take out the other half of a semi then their insurance company could sue you. If the faulty work was done by an electrician in one of the schemes you would be covered by his insurance, or failing that by the scheme.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

OK, OK you have convinced me. Where do i get Ower Gert to sign on then ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Oh no?, they apply pollution tests to older vehicles that were not in force when they were made, admitedly less stringent but it's still retrospective. I seem to

Actually the vehicle has to have been made before 1936 to be exempt from direction indicators!, not a lot of cars on the road come under that exemption 8-).

But in general older vehicles have to meet most safety requirements of the MOT with some exceptions. As I explained earlier the same is true for wiring, it has to be safe but does not need to be 100% current.

The fact is that some wiring practices in the past were simply lethal, the lack or any RCD on sockets for example.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

RCD on sockets for example? My home must be very lethal as must be millions!

Tom

Reply to
Tom