Death nell of Nitro??

Nope. There are lots of things I "don't get", but I try to be tolerant of them. I'd probably be more tolerant of H-D's with sraight pipes if some d*****ad hadn't revved up his striaght pipes as me and my nephews walked by in a parking ramp. The noise was actually painful and scared my nephews pretty badly. Yes, he waited until we we right next to him and there's no doubt in my mind he did it intentionally for our "benefit". And yes, it was, of course, an H-D.

Putting a wankel in a Miata is a tough job. The crankshaft on a rotary is quite a bit higher and won't line up with the rest of the drivetrain without a lot of work. But I understand what you're waiting for. I test-drove a bi-turbo gen-3 RX-7. Wow.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I did some research over the weekend, and according the Buell web site, H-D is the majority stockholder.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

inexpensive,

someone went

Seriously.

in

Or you could go old tech and build a chopper with a suicide shifter.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

You don't need an air shifter to upshift shift without a clutch, just relax the throttle while you lift your toes up quickly, it should only take a fraction of a second and is far smoother than using the clutch. You can downshift without the clutch as well but it isn't as smooth, just give it a little stomp with the throttle low. Now take this mess back to reeky.

Reply to
Steve Banks

SNIP

That was sarcasm about the straight pipe crowd. ~8^) I see many metric cruisers with straight pipes also and just don't get it. Why? Unless you are at the strip with a heavily modified motor there is no need what so ever for straight pipes. My 79' GL1000 is getting to the point that rebuilding the motor is easier than redoing the exhaust with buying after market parts.

Ah, then you understood what I meant. I don't want to headache of the conversion. Dropping a V8 in just defeats the purpose of a car like that. The Twin rotor turbo is the same or potentially more power with less weight. Having a sequential shifter would be nice also.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

"Sport Pilot"

SNIP

On a Dual Purpose bike? That's stupid...anyway most racers are using an electric shifter. No need to keep refilling a darn air bottle during a race. The KLR650 would be an excellent choice, granted the electric shifter will likely suck up enough juice that you can forget the heated grips and heated vest.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

Negatron NP :) I think the TOC winner flew an electric 33% Extra or something similar. My main problem with electrics is the high startup cost. I bought a ShockFlyer

  • all necessary stuff form NE Sailplanes. Total = 5 ! Shockflyer kit =
Reply to
Ed Forsythe

someone went

technology,

Then why did Harley come out with the water cooled V Rod? Maybe not as high tech as some, but not traditional Harley.

in

Reply to
Sport Pilot

Sorry Ed, We must increase the educational standards just to teach our children to read and to compute a 5% sales tax without using a computer. It's too late. We have already lost. Check out any high tech business and you'll see that American worker bees are a very small minority. If we start tomorrow it will be 100 years before we erase the mistakes we have made in our educational system. It's so sad - of course that's just my perception based on what I read, see, and hear .

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Why are you so lazy. Go look it up yourself.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

With the airshifter properly set up, you don't have to roll off the gas. just hit the button and keep going.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

They came out with the water cooled engine because they couldn't get enough reliable power with an air-cooled engine for the racing they wanted to do with it.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
Sport Pilot

So? four servos and a receiver and you are already up around $150 whatever you buy.

And the cost of LIPO pack motor and ESC is not so very different in small sizes from a motor, tank, throttle servo and engine mount.

And the cost of a lesiure battery, electric starter, power panel, glo starter and a can of fuel comes to about what a charger does too..

Eacgh of my models - large or small - represents about $250 of materials.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| Ed Forsythe wrote: | | > Negatron NP :) | > I think the TOC winner flew an electric 33% Extra or something similar.

Sheesh. $1000+ battery packs? I'll pass, at least until the money fairy visits.

| > My | > main problem with electrics is the high startup cost. I bought a ShockFlyer | > + all necessary stuff form NE Sailplanes. Total = $335 ! Shockflyer | > kit = $35 | | So? four servos and a receiver and you are already up around $150 | whatever you buy.

Not quite.

GWS 4P receiver = $24.50 with crystal at baslapr.com GWS Naro servos = $12.25

That works out to about $77, or less than half of $150. And they'd probably be fine on a ShockFlyer, though it might need a bit more torque. Perhaps the $15 servos would be better ...

In full sized stuff, the basic Hitec servo is $9 and I've found the quality to be very good. A good dual conversion receiver can be had for around $50, so that all adds up to $90.

| And the cost of LIPO pack motor and ESC is not so very different in | small sizes from a motor, tank, throttle servo and engine mount.

Norvel 0.061 = $44 Mount + fuel tank = $10 Small servo = $12.25 Throttle linkage = $1 (or free if you have some scraps)

A similarly performing electric would be a geared speed 400 or so? $40 for a small lipo pack, $20 for a motor+gearbox, $30 for an ESC? It's a bit more expensive, but you're right -- it's close.

Of course, if you want good performance, you go brushless, and then the price jumps. The electric setup I just quoted won't do much.

I'll bet his $335 includes either a charger, or a brushless motor+ESC, or a few battery packs (rather than one.)

| And the cost of a lesiure battery, electric starter, power panel, glo | starter and a can of fuel comes to about what a charger does too..

A cheap charger, perhaps.

I don't own a power panel. Never really understood why people bothered -- I like my portable nicad ignitors and starter with a battery pack on it. And lots of people don't bother with starters.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

HELP! I CAN'T GET TO THE END! IT'S REPRODUCING TOO FAST! PLEASE TELL ME HOW IT ENDS! IT'S PAST MY NAPPY TIME (WHIMPER, WHIMPER). ;-0

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

If there was ever a motorcycle that is less reliable than an AMF built Harley, it would be a Triumph. A friends bike was an electrical nightmare. Course that was an old bike today.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

Ed,

Heard a story about a HS Senior in (I think) NJ. He had a suicidal friend who was threatening to do the dirty deed with a big knife. This Senior talked his friend out of it and got the knife away from him. Praised as a hero by the school he was then expelled for weapons possession. Go figure!

A five year old got suspended for yelling "Bombs away" as he went down the slide in the playground!

Another Senior was suspended for having a 2 1/2" knife in culinary class. School rules define a knife as having three inches or more! Culinary class of all places! Seems the DH's have taken over our schools.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Certainly not when it's you who's trying to do the kicking! And if you're intelligence? I'll remain ignorant thank you!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Yup, they actually own all of Buell and have since 1998.

Reply to
C G