Open file- no thumbnail preview? acad 2002

For some reason when I search for a drawing in my acad folder in order to open, not all of the drawings have a thumbnail preview of the drawing.
Some of them show a greay area on the right side, where the preview typically appears. Why would that be? I save all my file in the same format (acad 2000 drawing format). tx