Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Any recommendations for a small vertical bandsaw?
I'd be interested in cutting mild steel plate up to maybe 1/4" and perhaps angle or thicker bar once in a while, also Aluminum up to 3/4" thick. I rather avoid anything by Central Machinery or other...
16
16

Sheldon 10" lathe question
Tonight my buddy and I went to look at a venerable old 10" Sheldon lathe. It's a model L-62 with a nice long bed. There is a lot of crust and dirt and a little rust on it, but there is also some...
15
15

Baldor tool grinder wheel removal?
I got a No. 500 Baldor tool grinder recently that I'm beginning to monkey with. Gunner gave me a couple of old diamond wheels, so I thought I'd try mounting one to see if it still cut. It appears that...
2
2

FS Jet 10x24 Lathe Western WA
Good Morning, I recently had to by a new manual lathe with a longer bed so the 1024 PBY Jet is up for sale. It has Quick change gears, a 3 Jaw chuck, 4 Jaw chuck, steady rest, face plate, two dead...

Clean lathe clutch with petrol?
Can I safely clean a lathe's clutch with petrol? The lathe is a Gornati Leopard, and the clutches are sprayed in oil as they run. I suspect that the previous owner has used an oil that is too thick,...
4
4

Metal Shear question: Niagara
At work we just set up an older Mechanical metal shear. It is a Niagara 1/4" capacity 8 foot model 88. So.. I call up Bliss clearing Niagara and ask for a manual. While I am on the phone I say "...
5
5

$850 for Clausing 8530 mill + Clausing 2' lathe?
A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a...
33
33

Recommendations for home shop metal lathe
I'm not an experienced machinist.(But I learn quickly!) I'd appreciate input re: a good lathe for home DIY'ers like me. I'd like to be able to turn aluminum,brass,mild steel and 3-4 inch maximum...
3
3

rockwell/clausing horizontal mills
I just added a Clausing 8540 horizonal mill to my shop. It seems to be in good condition. The lead screws have about 15 thou backlash and everything seems to run ok. The table has lots of dings and...
6
6

Clausing 8540or 5900 Speed Control Return Spring
Are there any tricks or gotchas to inspecting or removing the spring inside the variable speed control handle on these mills. It looks like it uses the same spring and hub as the 5900 lathes in case...
2
2

Help ID Unknown Tool
Hi Group, I picked up this tool at a flea market and have no idea what it is. It clearly is for making grooves or creases on something. Pictures are at: marked Newport KY There is an HKS company in KY...
17
17

annealed steel hardness
I have two samples of steel, one that is annealed, and one that is not. Both samples are in the shapes of cylindrical pucks. In both samples, the steel was found to be slightly harder on the inside of...
4
4

module of VW flywheel gear
Maybe it's a 12DP inch gear, which would have a PD of 279mm. Ned Simmons
5
5

Leblond 16 Tool & Die Lathe
I bought a Leblond HD 16" x 54" 10 Hp/Servoshift Tool & Die Maker lathe a while back for my home shop. It was made in 1965. For some reason it's called a 16" but it actually will swing 19.25" over the...
1
1

Design of flat belt conveyor
You might start at Goodyear's technical help site http://www.goodyearindustrialproducts.com/cgi-bin/conveyorbelts/setGroup.pl?group=oem
11
11

Question about Millermatic 200 MIG welders
I'm attending an auction this week and they have 8 Millermatic 200's and 8 Millermatic "Vintage" welders. Each welder comes with a big bottle, and most have new guns. These welders appear to be 15-20...
4
4

engine boring on a vertical mill
To all the people who say that I cannot bore a engine block with a vertical mill, let me ask you this: Why cannot I bore a engine block with five inches of diamator and six inches of depth with .001...
17
17

Brazing Nickel Silver
I'd like to join nickel silver parts together--by whatever means makes the most sense. The joint should be conductive and strong--this would be for joining model railroad rails made of approx 18%...
4
4

Telescoping square tubes for e-wheel adjuster?
I am planning to build a couple of English Wheels in the next few months, and one of the key elements is the adjuster. The adjusters are often made of a square rectangular tube with a solid or tubular...
5
5

Squaring Cross Slide on Craftsman 12x30 lathe
I own an older 12x30 Craftsman lathe model 101.07403. I am having a difficult time figuring out a quick an easy way to accurately adjust the cross slide so it is perpendicular to the chuck. Up untill...
2
2