Don't Bring A Knife To A Gunfight

No problem, I won't be there. I leave places where people carry weapons, and I take my business elsewhere.

Reply to
Bill Noble

The violence was initiated by an assailant with a knife. You decried as gun violence a legal response with handgun to attack with a deadly weapon (knife), but not the originating violent criminal act that precipitated the event. Would you like to explain that, please?

Responders here aren't gloating about violence, they're applauding successful legal defense against criminal violent deadly attack.

Perhaps you genuinely would rather be a victim of violence than present self-defense that is forceful enough to succeed? If so God bless you ... but it's absurd to expect others to be so submissive.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Interesting viewpoint.

Being situationally aware (per your later post) is definitely a first principle of self defense. But how would you secure a retail store selling commodities, where free access to displayed goods by customers is essential to business?

If you assert that operating an open retail store is a shooting waiting to happen, I'm very glad I don't live in your neighborhood. I definitely do understand that such neighborhoods exist, and I'm situationally aware enough to avoid them.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Howcome the gunophobes keep threatening to leave, but they never seem to get around to it, they just keep whining how dangerous the country is.

If you're so terrified of self-defense, then you should move to someplace like England, or North Korea, or China, where the State will keep you safely disarmed.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Some of the stores have a room with benches with a counter behind BP glass. The customer tells the clerk his order. As soon as it's paid for, a revolving door type opening delivers bags of goods. Other stores have a divided floor space divided by a BP glass counter. Any high-cost items are behind the counter (>$5) and bread, milk and such are on the customer side. These stores get a premium for their goods. I'll drive miles for a can of soda rather than visit the local stores or get gas.

Reply to
Buerste

Yup, you walk out when a person enters the diner and starts shooting. Tell him I have to leave as I take my business where guns are not allowed. Guns were not allowed in the high school in Columbine. How did that work out? And the cops waited 45 minutes outside the school before entering. How did that help?

Reply to
Califbill

I carry all the time, I run 100 pcs./wk through that one plus 4 hours once a week IDPA with a different one better suited to the events with another 100 pcs./wk. Even at 200 pcs./wk, I'm a novice. In a "jam", at least half of your training, practice and accuracy goes out the window. I have learned to avoid situations by watching for the warning signs and always have an escape route, cover and maneuvering space to the point that it's instinctual. I even unconsciously evaluate every threat in the local country grocery store, restaurants and in my church. If I become a victim, it will still be my fault at least in part.

Reply to
Buerste

How else would you do business, where your customers are mostly liberals? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

yes, you guys are gloating about violence - read it in your words. I never said that I was unarmed, nor that I would not defend myself or my family. I did say you guys are sick for glorifying violence - if it wasn't to glorify it, why did you feel an urge to post it here (no, not you don F, the OP) and why did everyone else feel the need to chime in and discuss the weapons and tactics, and "oh, was that a soda can exploding or a second shot", instead of saying 'what a sad state we are coming to where this kind of act is filmed and posted, where people do these things to each other". I stand by it - you guys are sick

Reply to
Bill Noble

Yabut Leroy ain't gonna' help Jamal who's gutshot and squealing on the floor. Shooting to wound is a myth, aim center-mass and expend half your capacity...depending on the number of immediate, apparent threats. Your body had better do it by itself because your mind won't function!

Reply to
Buerste

They breed liberals here and keep them here in squalor...so they will vote for libtards signing the cheese-checks.

Reply to
Buerste

I am not afraid of guns, I am afraid of amoral people with guns, and since one can never tell one's morals from the outside, I have found it best to avoid places where weaponry is common lest one be caught in the cross fire. I am sure I will never encounter you, and that is fine by me - certainly if you frequent the places you say you do, you will be easy to avoid. If more of us were to walk out of businesses when a person enters carrying a gratuitous weapon, the businesses would be more prone to eject such folks and maybe we could start being civilized.

Having to fear for your life all the time is a sign of the jungle, not of civilization. No, I do the jungle an injustice - it is a sign that stupid humans are around. The world I wish to live in does not impose this fear upon its inhabitants. Of course what I wish is not always reality, but fortunately I have the option to make it more real, and I use that option every day.

So, take your guns, your knives, your pitiful weaponry and by all means go among the other angry, frightened and armed people and defend yourself. I choose to go where people are not angry, are not frightened, and do not live in fear. And that is why we will never meet.

Reply to
Bill Noble

Pick yer pony, take yer ride, vote according to your conceience.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Cut off their cheese and the problem is solved! :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Bill is a moron.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I am the Original Poster. I posted it here because I am aware that gun owning pro Second Amendment people inhabit this group. As you may or may not be aware, many of the country's most important Constitutional rights are under severe attack right now. Spurring a discussion in regards to what is at stake in losing those rights was my motivation for posting the video's link, not glorifying any of the violence involved.

A very thin line exists between civilization and the chaotic law of the jungle. We can see a microcosm of that thin line right in this video. Will rational civilized man become the subjects of domination by psychopaths, or will the self-preservation of rationality win out?

Someone famous once said: "You may have no interest it war,....but war has an interest in you". I believe that person was Foreign Secretary Molotov, one of Stalin's underlings.

War against the domination of psychopathology came to this person quite unexpectedly. But at least he was prepared for that possibility. If rational human beings ever become unprepared for the possibility that psychopaths will gain domination over them, then all hope of civilization is lost.

And, at this particular juncture in human history, the psychopaths are attempting once again to gain that domination. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Thanks for that. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Bill, In all fairness, you really should view the video. If it's not faked (and I don't think it is), you may have a change of mind. Those that were attacked were clearly minding their own business. This dude walked in with killing in mind. He walked up behind a total stranger and slashed his throat. He then attacked the clerk viciously with a (large) knife. If there was ever a case where shooting a person was justified, this certainly would qualify.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Sorry, Bill, but you can't know that. You'd probably be surprised to discover how many places you've been where folks carry.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Please, be so kind as to enlighten me as to which places you believe that I've said that I frequent.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise