OT: Linux Mint 8 install

Took 2 times to make the install. It had a read problem with the CD the first time. You install RC1 then update to get stable and change hover delay to 50ms in the Menu button, Preferences, Appplications. It leaves Mint 7 as a boot option by making a partition for itself. My video is smoother. Audio mixer is gone. I'll have to look at 7 to see what it's using. Mozilla crashed a couple times after first start but seems stable now. Just had a one second blackout when I minimised windows. It's fast but so is 7. No problems installing packages. Menu doesn't go away when you click on something else. Just crashed while I was off cooking but didn't lose this message. My suggestion: Wait till it's been out a while before installing it but no real problems. I'll try to post more after I've used it for a while. The Mint team is good about updates and they install in the background unlike being locked out of your Win box for 1/2 hour while it's updating itself at startup. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

This is what I was making when the crash happened. I know there are people here who like to cook:

Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

OK. I'm now on the XP side. Windows didn't like Mint resizing the partition so it did a disk check on startup. Windows seems to be running like normal (slow). Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I periodically switch to an Administrator account to explore Documents and Settings for the on-line Limited User, and delete extra cookies and temporary internet files, etc. Removing all those desktop.ini files speeds it back up. IE and Firefox can do this automatically but I like to control it myself because my cookie policy is so tight that some sites like Enco won't load without help.

I have cookies displayed by date, so the account ones I want to keep stay at the top and new ones from recent browsing are grouped at the bottom.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Audio Problem. Line In is broken. No audio from line in. While I was in XP I found the the latest HD youtube videos are jerky so it may be that my video problems are hardware related. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Thanks Karl. Ill stay with Mint 7 for a while until they get the bugs out of 8

Much obliged!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

=A0Unknown Usnet Poster

=A0 =A0 =A0Keyton

No problem. I had the spare time over the holiday. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk