OT-News Flash- April 19th

Yup, it's more like a sudden shove. Black powder takes longer to burn than modern powders. A cannon with 2-3 pounds of powder is a whole differnt matter.

n.

Reply to
North

The French made a .70-cal (roughly; it was metric) anti-tank, shoulder-fired rifle during WWI. I suspect most shooters didn't actually put it up against their shoulders, however.

When I was a kid living in Maryland I used to love to go down to a couple of museums on the Eastern Shore, where they had about a half-dozen of those "punt guns" that were used to shoot an entire flock of ducks with one shot. The bore varied but I remember several of them around 2" (.200 caliber) or more, with barrels maybe 12 feet long and a regular, very fat shoulder stock.

For years I was amazed that anyone could shoot a cannon like that until I saw a painting of one in use. The whole punt was a sort of cannon carriage. There was a raised V-notch at the bow end, in which the barrel rested. And mounted to the transom was a very thick, heavily braced plank that extended up a foot or two above the gunwales. The butt end of the stock rested against that, while the shooter actually wrapped his arm around the buttstock.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

So you're now confirming your flawed reasoning?

Not interested in any winger propaganda.

They asked for classified information knowing full well who they were harboring and that no sane person would turn over such information to them.

US Fleets moving does not in any way indicate that a decision to attack has been made. It's called "posturing" and it's also called keeping your options open since it takes some time to get equipment into position.

Bust didn't throw anyone out, Saddam did several times. The inspectors were so mired in UN bureaucracy that they couldn't accomplish anything anyway. Every site they inspected, as they drove in on one side a convoy of trucks was seen leaving on the other side. They had no way to get to a site unannounced and no way to stop and inspect whatever was being moved out as they arrived. Those are the facts.

Did you? Saddam was manipulating and funneling funds to support himself and his troops and weapons and virtually nothing was reaching the civilian population.

Too many to list, look at the UN reports, look at old NPR reports, it was abundantly clear that the UN sanctions were only hurting the civilians and having no effect on Saddam and his cronies.

The ones the first UNSCOM teams located and inventoried. The reports are out there, try reading them.

Your point? You're the one who said they didn't attack Iraq or Afghanistan.

I see a larger threat from the naieve left wingers than from the right wingers at the moment. The potential issues from the right wingers aren't ones that threaten my physical safety.

A: Radical failed religions in conjunction with collapsed societies.

I see far more that you do apparently, you seem to have your left blinders on.

Proof of what? Their conspiracy theories? We know who AQ&CO are, we've known about them for years. Your leftie buddies ignored them during their administration and 911 and the previous WTC bombing were the result. The various embassy bombings in Africa and some assorted other incidents were additional early warnings that your buddies chose to ignore.

Yes, as a matter of fact I have, and you're one of them. It was the negligent inaction of the naieve left wingers that allowed 911 to happen.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

That would be a 2 gauge shotgun, not a .200 caliber rifle. ;-)

Strider

Reply to
Strider

Ed:

Wouldn't a 2" diameter be 2.00 caliber, not .200 caliber?

-- BottleBob

BottleBob

shoulder-fired

Yeah, firstly, I had the decimal in the wrong place. Secondly, a 2-inch bore would be about 0.6 gauge. (Shotgun gauge being a measure of how many round lead balls, each of which just fits in the bore, weigh one pound. A 2-in. bore is about 1.7 lb/ball.)

Unless you're into .410 gauge shotgun terminology, in which case this one would be a 2.000 gauge.

I think they actually measured them by how many pounds of nails they could fire in one shot.

Did you ever see one of those suckers? They gave them names, and passed them down through generations. The history of each named punt gun was famous all over the Eastern Shore.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yeah, Bob, I got the decimal in the wrong place.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

x?uV]oÛ6}?¸?~¶f;éZ$E? h³ +:¬ÁòL?×g?ÔH?ûëw.¥$>8¶$òÜËsÏ9ÊG_7£Õ)]öV?ÅZ¬Î?;[.éêó?¾¦`4zaÓy_ ?Òqz?sÚ?ø¬(?rý?*ñäqyrÐÓw4_?.3zñïàÓùGM¿ .?q¼ñþ'óáF?ãÓÕ?ï?wÖ8>¨úý?G»å?1o|G?µÆë|?ä»|ë¢c[õuéCSªá??£m©?Qïâ?>ý?¤çuwú|yÑû?®|U?åQ;?þvAµ²¦âð?n[?(µL-[K&â·J¿Ýàëe$Ç*Ø=-ßQ?thç«icê íýð$¼qÉgÈÎhm?ü0ÿa+ó?ðhm??ÿ 1?BKÎyG;?ZR?À1ùzóìðîáõ ?~ ìê?:¥ åÛÅg¥WÁMk÷荨b¡¢ú5)?ÌÄf³è!×Ðíí5?8?ëDÇ °C ?´Ñî%NT§AY×Iª=©FÓ!4¸2á¾|?Qëw¼åPf?4Oôðú¶e??äd ÓÑdÍV??>«°·Êið?v-c?x°§ViR?d?­²ë¹ößÐæ?ZDÏëewY«Å±öçhg?9ÆÕrÕ(âT?????Öè\F²:qËD?ü:Þqei²ÍËB4É9am?XFÑ^Ì+fµk?5O},AøË!?^ôÙ????E!?½>?âjp?Cñ£7Ãáõ'e¸w>îÔ71?Ld?Âë

Reply to
Gunner

Using the original English classification it would be an "A" caliber = punt gun, which was the largest of them all. The "letter" caliber scale = followed the alphabet, each caliber diminishing 1/16" until the "gauge" scale took= over with four gauge as the largest.

Another system badly in need of some metrication! =20

--=20

-JN-

Reply to
J. Nielsen

Isn't 2" = 200 caliber ! like 0.50 = 50 caliber.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

Yeah, I don't know what the decimal places are doing in there at all, anyway. I guess it's a tradition.

Anyway, it's a sort of scattergun cannon with a buttstock.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:30:13 GMT, the inscrutable pyotr filipivich spake:

That reminds me of my first time shooting a 30.06. My father's friend had his and I, being wise and brave at age 10, wanted to fire it. He told me to hold it an inch away from my shoulder. When it almost took my shoulder off and knocked me to the ground, I was tempted to wish that he had put another round in there. I wanted to rip the guy's head off, and I stayed mad at my dad for a week for not warning me. The bone and cartilage bruises only lasted about six months, no biggie. Needles ta slay, I didn't need to be reminded about holding a rifle firmly against my shoulder after that.

The first time I shot my pistol I had my grips wrong. My right hand backed up my left at the back and the slide caught my right thumb knuckle, taking a neat 1/16" x 1/4" slice out of the skin, much like a cheese grater. It was then I remembered that the bracing hand goes in FRONT of the shooting hand. C'est la guerre, non?

...squeeze, squeeze, (Jayzuss, doesn't this thing ever fire) BANG!

4 feet of travel at a ten pound pull is what my P-11 seems to have.

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day --

Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Reply to
Larry Jaques