OT: XP startup or system repair disk

I'm having to muck around in the registry on my mill control computer. I know enough to be dangerous here

Before I start, I want to make a system repair disk, or startup disk, or maybe it has another name. Anyway, how do I make a floppy disk to boot the computer, have the cd rom, and be able to replace a file on the hard disk.

There used to be an icon to click on in '95 and '98. Can't find it anywhere on this XP machine.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Do a search on "windows XP startup disk" its downloadable.

Reply to
Gary Owens
  1. Format a floppy under XP (do NOT check "Make MS-DOS startup disk)
  2. go to the root of your system drive - normally C:\
  3. Copy 3 files from c:\ to the floppy a. NTLDR b. NTDETECT.COM c. BOOT.INI

This will allow you to boot XP from a floppy on all installations except systems that have special boot drivers (very rare). Note that booting XP is not like booting MS-DOS, 95 or 98. XP still requires files from the hard drive to boot (ntoskrnl.exe among others). Also note that if your filesystem is NTFS instead of FAT that you can't just boot to dos and copy a file on the HD. You would need to either boot to XP or get an NTFS writing utility. Bottom line is that if you hose the OS you may not ever get XP to boot back up without doing a repair install.

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

XP doesn't work that way. Boot your computer from the installation CD, and when it asks you, type "R" to get to the recovery console. That'll allow you to do what you need to do to get the system back in a stable condition. This is only necessary if attempts to boot in safe mode fail.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Yup! just make sure you have your 'puter set up to read the CD drive on start up! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

One thing no one has mentioned is that after you make potentialy dangerous changes to your OS you should not log on imediately after the reboot. Give the machine a minute or so to start all services. Otherwise, the "last known good" boot option will be no use because the "last known good" boot is considered to be the last time you successfully authenticated, even if a bluescreen follows the logon.

Reply to
bob mologna