Subject Author Posted Replies

Timer?
Where would I look for a timer that would turn on an AC circuit for a short time. Slightly different than the outdoor light timers, for I would like to turn if on for small amounts of time, say five...
10
10

toolroom size live spindle lathe
Any recommendations on a brand and model of used (80s-90s ok), very stiff, toolroom size turning center (basically the smallest available), with a live spindle that would be good for medium alloy...
2
2

Golf Ball Lever Knobs!
Many months ago someone mentioned that golf balls made good knobs for machine tools. I filed that bit of info for future use. Well today was the future. My drill press needed knobs, so I chucked up...
19
19

[SOLVED] Sharpening a tape dispenser blade
Hi folks, I bought this really cool 3M tape dispenser recently. It's cast iron and weighs a ton: the blade's a little blunt and I can't find anyone who supplies replacements. It's not incredibly blunt...
22
22

Slightly OT Electronic Mystery ?
This morning at 1:30 am we were awakened out of a sound sleep by the sound of our doorbell running through 1 of it's cycles. More on that, later. I reached into the night stand and secured Mr. Colt to...
16
16

Micro Lathe
Hi, I am new in metalworkings, I want to buy a small metal lathe as for hobby. Does anybody use or own this lathe? Please provide some advise. Woodstock International, Inc. - Manufacturer of Shop Fox...
16
16

Not exactly OT - Cars from the fifties & sixties
Wanna take a stroll, errr make that "drive", down Memory Lane ? Turn your speakers up and check these links: Swinney thefiftiesandsixties.com is your first and best source for all of the information...
6
6

The devil made me do it
Spent about 6 hours finding and wiring a reversing relay for my 8 Amp, 58/105 DC volt, shunt wound GE motor. Worked like an absolute charm but I decided to see if it could stand being reversed without...
33
33

Schaublin lathe compound rest
I am posting this for a friend. He has a Schaublin lathe compound rest for sale. It is the same as the compound rest in this eBay auction, note, he has only the compound rest, no cross slide. It is in...

fabricating and hardening some small steel sleeves
I need to make and harden some small sleeves, OD about 1/4", ID about 3/16", length about 1/2". I'd like the parts to be hard enough to make a file skip on them, but not glass- hard. Given that the...
3
3

A rather specific lathe question
Hello all, I'm new to this group, but recognise a lot of names from other forums. Recently, I aquired a *old* Foster turret lathe- my best estimate based on the textbook that came with it is that was...
1
1

Notice about Peter Grey
Hi Everyone - This is Peter Grey's wife, he posted here regularly and talked to me about this newsgroup frequently. Unfortunately Peter passed away last Thursday after battling cancer for the past...
11
11

status of new workshop
Here is my present workshop status, in case anyone is interested. I posted when I started and I'm only a week from putting up the building, should be erecting the building on the 15th and 16th.;...
12
12

Way OT Shotgun question
I just bought a Mossberg HS410 for my family (my youngest kid is 12, so I wanted a smaller gun) and was looking for a folding stock that is adjustable in length. There's a few for Mossberg bigger...
16
16

machine tool demand down
anyone seeing this ? "U.S. July machine tool demand stood at $271.37 million, down 22 percent from June and down 9.5 percent from July 2006, said the American Machine Tool Distributors' Association...
5
5