10/10/06: A day that will live in infamy?

Has anybody noticed that on 10/10/06 the 62.5g propellant limit goes into effect? Which basically means I guess, that anybody possessing or storing or selling
a propellant grain that in excess of 62.5g will require a LEUP?
Assuming you fall into the above category, what are your plans to get into compliance.
Will the major online retailers require PROOF of LEUP before selling you an HIJ motor?
what about at NAR/TRA HPR sport launches? Will PROOF of LEUP be required for flights? What is the legal liability for a NAR section/TRA Prefecture if they allow people to fly with no leup? Is that conspriracy? is that facilitating?
Will the ATF get "customer lists" and start knocking on doors ? or at least sending a nasty letter?
terry dean nar 16158
--
"Old Rocketeer's don't die; they just go OOP"

I am moving to Indiana on 150 acres we own there. I am building a house right in the middle of the remote property. I will build a storage building the proper distance from my home and I will then get a LEUP hopefully by June of next year.
Talk about extreme measures!?!
-Tim
shockwaveriderz wrote:

Have fun shoveling the driveway. 8-)
Phil
Philip Stein wrote:

I know, the drive is about a 3/4 mile long. Worse yet in building the driveway (road), I had to build a bridge to get over a creek that runs through the property. And finally, worse yet [worsest :-)], my last two places of residence were California and Texas so, even though I'm originally from Indiana, I forgot how to shovel snow.
-Tim

I wouldn't worry about the snow too much. Depending on what part of the state your talking about, we really don't get all that much snow anymore. More than Texas or California, but not as much as I remember as a kid. I used to live in the northern part that got lake effect snow and that could be bad at times, now I live in the middle of the state and I only used the snow thrower once last year. What part are you building in?
rm wrote:

West-Central Indiana. A small town called Cayuga.
I'm in Lafayette.

If you build a storage building and put your ATF approved storage box inside it then it's considered "indoor" storage and there are no distance requirements. The 75' rule for a Type IV box does not apply. . . .

Chad, others:
Just as a side thought, do I have to live on the site or do I just have to own the property and have a storage building of proper design?
(Assume also that I have an "in state" mailing address while I am building)
-Tim
Chad Ellis wrote:

shockwaveriderz wrote:

Don't forget the need to house those motors or reloads in approved day boxes while on the launch site...
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
Darrell D. Mobley wrote:

You don't need a day box for low explosives, only high. Furthermore,
55.205 Movement of explosive materials. All explosive materials must be kept in locked magazines meeting the standards in this subpart unless they are: (a) In the process of manufacture; (b) Being physically handled in the operating process of a licensee or user; (c) Being used; or (d) Being transported to a place of storage or use by a licensee or permittee or by a person who has lawfully acquired explosive materials under 55.106.
So as long as you are transporting them to be used or using them, they do not need to be in the magazine.
"Darrell D. Mobley" wrote:

A day box is not required for any low explosives while removed from the magazine and in use. However, low explosives must be placed in an approved magazine when not attended to or no longer in use. Go to the Orange Book and you will see; a day box is used for containment of high explosives while removed from a magazine and must be attended at all times until used or placed in/returned to an approved high explosive magazine.
If you all can hold on for a couple hours, I'll try to give you all page and paragraph from the Orange Book. Right now I got to hit the road; to attend a MDRA BOD meeting, but first I will have to fight with the Washington DC Beltway..GRrrrrrr..
Fred
"W. E. Fred Wallace" wrote:

Never mind, Alex has already provided the reference.. (:-)

Get serious Phred. The JBGTs have been illegally enforcing an non existant law for years. We've been in court sueing them over this matter. Over 3 years ago they started the process to make this non existant law real. We had no clue when or if it would take effect.
Now we get 60 days notice. Any one care to post how long it currently takes to get a LEUP fromt he time you get the application form, until you get the little pink card? The law says 90 days, but it took over 6 months for my RENEWAL. I know one person who took over 9 months to get his LEUP BEFORE 9/11.
What about the folks who can't get an LEUP and storage because of where they live. Do YOU have one in LA? I was able to squeak by because I'm in an unincorporated area, but if I were on the other side of the line, I doubt I'd be able to get one at all. I doubt our members in any big city will ever get an LEUP and storage.
And what about the dealers that stock "easy access" motors, and have for years, but don't have LEDPs. There's a lot of folks out there that don't want the hassles of dealing with a bunch of JBGTs, so they never carried anything thye needed a permit for. What are they supposed to do with thousands of dollars of inventory in the next month. Have a big blow-out sale? Return it all to Aerotech for a refund? Toss it in the nearby water supply where no one will ever find it?
Terry is dead on correct. We need to hear something from our legal team. NOW. And if on 9/26 the judge doesnt' rule in our favor, the legal team needs to have a request for an injunction or stay in hand until the judge does rule.
Snip for Brevity's sake
Go Bob, Go!
Great explanation if I ever heard one.
Kurt wrote:

Yeah not bad but maybe it should have been sent to the two org's leaders though.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
Bob Kaplow wrote:

9/26? I thought the next hearing was 10/17.
Apparently you don't read all the r.m.r. messages.
None of this matters to members of one intergalactic rocketry org.: the Starlords.
Join them and ignore all laws and permit requirements.
;)
http://www.sirius.com /
First of all we're not Intergalactic, as I've never gotten anything from anyone not of this world. We are International as we have members in many places other than just the USA.
Second, We are just MODEL Rocketeers, all of our events in the Gold Book are for Model Rockets. We have a member down in Fla. that holds a model rocket building class for a school where there are a lot of crack kids and they not only build the birds out of recyclered hosehold goods and parts, but they then fly the birds that same day.
www.starlords.org

Telescope Buyers FAQ
Starlord wrote:

What does a 'crack' kid's recycled households goods consist of? Half-used brillo pads? Empty Arm & Hammer boxes? Instead of tracking chalk they use baking soda. ;-)