Addendum to LDRS 23 DVD

And all I am suggesting, is that if "Rocketeer A" has access to a vast desert-terrain range; and "Rocketeer B" is limited in access to a tree-bespeckled park; then it is not entirely fair to punish "Rocketeer B" simply because the disposition of public land is not in his favor. This is no reflection on his own personal skills.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

And all I am suggesting is that both "Rocketeer A" and "Rocketeer B" need to have the skills necessary to recover the rockets that they fly in the area that they fly in.

You indicate "A" as having a vast desert-terrain range -- that would (perhaps) lead "A" to use a higher-altitude flight, and perhaps lose their rocket in the undifferentiated terrain (trust me, I looked for my bright red Black Brant VB for two hours in the desert at NSL). If "B" has a smaller area, then he would (should) choose a higher-drag design so that the altitude isn't as great. By the same token, if trees are a concern, then the design should be taking that into account (as should the tools used by the rocketeer). I would expect that at a launch with lots of trees, that someone would have a long pole (or grabbing device) to remove rockets from the trees.

The WHOLE POINT here is that the certification process is trying to take the entire launching process into consideration -- and part of that includes SUCCESSFUL RECOVERY, and the ability to review the rocket such that it can fly again.

To put it more simply (in terms of sports, for example), those are the rules -- and everybody has to play by the same rules.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

So why not require two flights of the same HPR model for certification, thus requiring the return of only one of two flights? (The NAR competition return rule sucks.)

I agree that recovery and landing location is an essential skill worthy of demonstration. However, I disagree that HPR certification is any sort of verification of essential HPR skills (especially L1). It is simply a low bar that must be hopped over (just git 'er done) to obtain license to buy and fly HPR motors. This suggests that gate keepers should not be demanding a perfect flight, just a Midwest Qualified Flight. I could offer an essential HPR skill set to demonstrate for certification, but nobody wants that.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

B should certify with a saucer.