Ellis J228-6 TRA Decertified

Thanks for the info Fred and Chad.

The lack of communication between the manufacture, customer and TMT is what is bothering me most about this.

I guess I'll be glad my old non-dated white labels aren't blowing up and just finish them off when I can.

Reply to
AlMax

We have a division with a product at that place as well, pending cert, If it's the name similar to an insurance company.

Reply to
AlMax

NFPA 1127 (TRAs own safety code) prohibits the sale of uncertified motors. So obviously such a transaction would not be permitted at any TRA event.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Well, it WAS on the TMT cert list, and is now listed there as decertified for quality. it wouldn't be decertified if it wasn't initially certified. And the J228 cert was aparantly passed to the NAR, because it's onthe combined cert list as of last March.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

In the past, Aerotech sold plenty of motors that weren't certified. I haven't gone through the current cert list and their current product list to see if they are currently selling anything that isn't certified.

It clearly points out the ened for "buyer beware", and for making both consumers and dealers more aware of what uncertified motors are being sold by manufacturers. My previous experience with AT was that the dealers had no clue that some of the reloads sold by AT were NEVER certified.

The B6, C4, and C6-5 were NEVER certified. (the -3 and -7 were certified) Others, such as the D24, D9-4, E11-5, and E23-5 were sold for a long time before they were ever certified.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

As I've posted, Aerotech has sold MANY uncertified motors over the years. I'd have to check their current product list against all the certs to see if there are any currently uncertified motors offered for sale. With all the certification changes as a result of the fire and the relocation, it wouldn't suprise me if something slipped through the cracks again.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

I'm sure they would. If the manufacturer were willing to pay several hundred thousand to UL for the testing, as opposed to the $25-35 that they currently pay for NAR or TRA testing.

For a $100 motor that they sell maybe 100 per year, that would add at least $1000 per motor to the price. WOuld you buy them? for 11x the current price?

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

You haven't been around long enough.

I had at least a dozen packs of uncertified AT MR reloads. I returned most of them to the AT rep for replacement / refund, but never got anything in return. I ended up giving a bunch of uncertified 18mm reload grains to a friend to use as ignitors in his M motors.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

I mixed that up with the k600 - which was already mentioned. Sorry

Reply to
Phil Stein

Yes, it's against the rules, but unless everyone involved was as anal as you and carried a current, up-to-the-minute list of certified motors with them at all times, it's still possible for an uncertified motor to slip through the cracks either accidentally or intentionally.

raydunakin

Sorry, if thats the case... TMT doesn't have a test stand large enough for hybrids over about a K Impulse, or about 200-300 N/s Average (As i was last told by Paul), so we have to use our big stand, and while it is "mobile," Its not exactly easy to move around, espicially to Phoenix (200 Miles away). I think it worked out that that weekend he was able to travel and the next weekend he got to testing your motors as i recall.

The thing is, we have a lot of new motors that have been developed over the past few months since our last testing session, and we would like them tested, but it is still to hot. Even a good number of our 38mm motors can't be tested on the TMT stand because they are over the

300N/S limit...

Tom

Reply to
Contrail Rockets

The only place to fix the problem is at the manufacturer: They need to stop making, distributing, and selling motors that haven't been certified. The NAR can and has come down on manufacturers that mark their motors NAR certified when they are not. TRA needs to do the same. And consumers need to "look for the label" when buying motors.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Can anyone tell us if the uncertified ones were in fact labeled as certified? If that is the case, I think something should be done to get their money back - weather the motor is shipped back or not.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Then why are you not LOUDLY opposed to it??

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

They don't?

They decertified USR claiming misdating, only according to you, which BTW never happened.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Or by any TRA member, TRA certified manufacturer (except Aerotech, Ellis, AMW, Loki...) or TRA centric dealer.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

How?

Either it is certified or not. One would think people would be LATE to hear about certified motors, not EARLY.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Then you are simply not paying attention.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I told yo uso.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Isn't Tripoli concerned about misdating?

They do not seem concerned about faulty motors or uncertified motors being widely distributed.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine