More Tripoli hypocrisy?

I bet a sizable amount of the "slush" goes to the legal fund. NAR probably spends quite a bit on it too.

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Maybe it's time to crank up the power on the jammer.

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

They apparently only require membership if you want to fly high power (>G). You are quoting old news which is unhelpful to the overall point of comparing current differences in NAR and TRA insurance. Focus! ;) No longer an issue.

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

Yes it does in that case. It's stated so in the FAQ.

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

Well, I've never heard of any low power flyers being turned away from a TRA launch or having their NAR membership checked. Maybe your local TRA club is just real anal about it.

What difference does it make, since they're only flying low power anyway?

Reply to
RayDunakin

At the second HPR launch I attended, they were passing his picture around. I figured it was a culture thing.

Reply to
AlMax714

What I find interesting is I was removed from TRA in 3-92. I have not involved myself with them at launches since with possibly 2 exceptions, both of which involved efforts to resolve the falsified charges.

I see that since then they have been FIXATED on me.

Go figure.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Was it this pic?

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

I just read it in the LDRS forum page. The link was posted here sometime this week. It's got the board minutes where they decided to raise the tithe from $5 to $20. Or you could read it in your TR minutes.

Bob Kaplow

It said the fee would be raised to $20. It didn't say it was for a slush fund.

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Where did you hear this? It's time to take your medicine Ray.

Phil Ste>

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Reply to
almax714

It was in 89 or 90 if I recall at the Original Dare sites in Ill.

Heck, in the days before the internet , it was on compuserve modelnet this stuff was brought up on.

Reply to
almax714

You're right, anyone can fly low power at a TRA launch. But I thought I had specified that the membership requirement was a high power certification thing, which of course is not an issue for low power. I guess I wasn't specific enough.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Why would that not be an insurance risk?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hmmm... when I was at the Aeronaut 2001 launch at Black Rock, I was told that a friends who had come with me couldn't sign in to fly even G or smaller motors without either NAR or TRA membership.

I suppose this may have been a club-specific interpretation rather than a "Tripoli thing", though...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

What LDRS forum??

Reply to
RayDunakin

Probably was. I've even heard of one club that discouraged low power flying at their launches regardless of membership, and that's definitely not a TRA rule.

Reply to
RayDunakin

He also said 70% were unaffiliated. What about the other 30%?

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

It also didn't say it was going to the insurance company. Or anything about a premium increase to justify the increase. In fact one BOD member wanted to table the discussion until after LDRS, but caved in.

Bob Kaplow