More Tripoli hypocrisy?

And I've repeatedly said it's NOT a certification thing. Back before NAR changed their insurance plan to cover all members, NAR insurance was optional. And at that time only certified **AND INSURED** NAR members were allowed to fly HPR at insured TRA launches. When the NAR got their new insurance that covered everyone, NAR insurance was no longer an issue for NAR members flying at TRA launches.

IIRC this period of TRA actually having insurance that covered members, and NAR having optional insurance was about a year, but it clearly showed that the issue was INSURANCE and not CERTIFICATION.

Bob Kaplow

Bob Kaplow

Correct. If Joe Newbie shows up at any NAR launch with his Initiator, he can fly it on a G64 and both the club and site owner insurance are still in effect if that rocket causes an incident. Of course Joe isn't covered if someone sues HIM, but that's not OUR problem.

Can you DOCUMENT that this is true of TRAs coverage?

Bob Kaplow

I don't know which club you speak of, but that was one of the stupid things the club here did that led to a second club in the Chicago area. And they didn't "discourage" it, they outright BANNED anything less than an F at the launches. SO at one launch we woke up to an 800 foot ceiling. Since no one had small stuff to fly, the went out and started launching HPR that disappeared under power, some of which were never seen again. But why should a simple rule (or FAA reg that was NOT waived and NEVER would be waived) stop a bunch of jerks from having fun.

Ironically, when the founders left this new prefecture, I ended up as prefect, and not getting help from TRA HQ, started asking questions here. It's what led to my excommunication, and the end of that prefecture, as no one else in NIRA was willing to take over the job.

Bob Kaplow

I haven't seen the exact numbers lately, but I'd guestimate that NIRA is 30% NAR (this number may be low), and maybe 10% TRA. Most or all of the TRA members are also NAR members. At one time those numbers were over 50% and

30% respectively, before NIRA was excommunicated from TRA along with me.

Bob Kaplow

So it looks like it's not insurance - it should go to the TRA Treasury.

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein
50 Baud acoustical coupler modem

--Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyers

Weren't they newer than the 103's?

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

There's nothing worse than being 5 or 6 lines ahead of the decwriter printing and realizing you mistyped something.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

So, it's not an insurance issue, it's about certification. You've just demonstrated this fact. Your other messages are historical baggage and not helpful for someone trying to figure what the CURRENT situation is to help decide which organization to get insurance from (that's Phil's original point of digging into this). The uninsured flyers are at their own risk, but both NAR and TRA cover the the club and landowner for incidents caused by the uninsured flyer, as long as all laws and safety codes are followed. Highpower non-members are not allowed because they do not have NAR or TRA certification. Period. The real issues we've already covered in this thread.

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

I used a 110 baud acoustic-coupled modem on an IBM paper terminal in 1977 to do "online chatting" with friends at other colleges. AIM is just the same thing in a pretty pacakge. :) I still have some of the printouts.

I ran a BBS in the early 80's using a 300-baud modem I build from scratch, using a CP/M computer I put together.

I designed and manufactured 103A and 212A modems for Atari 8-bit computers in the early/mid 1980's. They were the first on the market that connected to the computer without requiring an external RS-232 interface and emulated the standard OS calls and Hayes modem commands.

Thanks for clearing out some old cobwebs!

-John (revealing too much geeky stuff for my own good!)

Reply to
John DeMar

Slowest I ever USED? 110baud, acoustic coupled to a DIAL phone from an ASR33 teletype and paper tape.

Slowest I ever owned? 300/1200 DEC DF03 with PULSE autodial, back when there was virtually nothing you could actually takl to at 1200 baud. I've still got it somewhere...

Bob Kaplow

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

So it's not an insurance surcharge, it's a TRA surcharge. Misrepresented as an insurance cost.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

I spent a few years in High School running a computer-store BBS on a Commodore PET with a 110-baud modem. Had to build the auto-answer circuit ourselves. :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Sorry, I thought you were talking about NOW, not ancient history. :)

Reply to
RayDunakin

Not for anything above a G.

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

You're right, in that the quoted portion of the minutes doesn't specifically stated that it is for insurance. Having read the messages at the link you provided, I see that it was a decision of the _host club_ to call it an "insurance surcharge".

However, two things come to mind:

  1. There's nothing in the quoted portion of the minutes to indicate that it ISN'T being used to pay for insurance.
  2. Even if it isn't used for insurance, so what? Both NAR and TRA try to make some money off their national launches. I see nothing wrong with that.
Reply to
RayDunakin

It's still the same now. You just have to look back a couple years in the past to find ot WHY it is the way it is now. And that shows that the issue is INSURANCE.

Bob Kaplow

Mail was probably one of the earlier applications.

The fun part was that to get somewhere, you had to know the full path from where you were to where you wanted to go. Somewhere I've still got recorded address paths like that. Search for names like ihnp4, decwrl, ucbvax, decvax, hplabs, and strings containing these names seperated by "!".

Bob Kaplow