Poll Results, nar or TRA

Hahahahah, that's one funny post! ;)
-Rich p.s. Until the RMR police arrive at my door and tell me otherwise, I think I'll continue my horrible habit of top posting. ;)
Tweak wrote:

Point.
(bottom posted)
On 24 Aug 2005 14:34:23 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@juno.com"

How many voted for neither?
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

Wow! Those must be the same people who are purported to privately send supportive emails to another RMR garbage-spewer.
The only difference being that the other once, about 1 in 1000 messages, actually posts something USEFUL.
-Kevin
On 24 Aug 2005 14:34:23 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@juno.com"

The Lurkers support me in e-mail They all think I'm great don't you know. You posters just don't understand me But soon you will reap what you sow.
http://www.velvet.com/barb/humor/lurkers.html
- Rick "Remember the Matrix? I took both pills." Dickinson
--
Rick Dickinson - snipped-for-privacy@notesguy.com
National Association of Rocketry (NAR) # 73975 Level 2

Ironic, isn't it?
Jerry Irvine wrote:

No, no it isn't.
I feel your numbers mean nothing. A more precise count would be to simply show actual membership enrollment numbers... those who have put their money where their mouth is. There really is no other valid standard.
No matter how you rate it, "if you can only choose one" would still be settled by the organization with the greater number, as obviously that organization would have had more choosers choosing only one organization... double joiners inflate both organizations equally.
Are you still so sure...?
~ Duane Phillips.

That's not fair. An anecdotal poll is meaningful.
What I find interesting is the high level of TRA participation in the poll but not on rmr where the poll eminated from.
The TRA BOD information control procedures are clearly working.
Consider yourself effectively muffled.
Jerry

Come on, Jerry, even I can see through this smoke screen. There's no TRA mind control going on here. Lunarlos has posted totally bogus numbers with nothing to back them up. Even the numbers he claims come from RMR posts jsut don't exist, either for NAR or TRA, much less in the ratios he claimed.
Lunarlos is a liar and a jerk. What he says does not matter. (any one remember that line from ST:TOS?)
Yeah, What about the uncounted votes from Florida? Don't the words "hanging chad" mean anything anymore???!!?
Bob "Dimpled Chad" 352 ];>)
bob352 wrote:

They meant a lot at Chad's trial. :)
Jerry Irvine wrote:

jerry, Put away the model glue, you've had way to much today.
[and another "lost" post from earlier this morning...]

Correct. Anyone can make up numbers. 73% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

NAR publishes this in their summary document handed out at the town meeting earlier this month. It's been hanging around 5K for a long time.
I've got a secret source that gets me similar numbers for TRA. [I will neither confirm nor deny...] I don't believe that TRA has ever had 5K paid members. Their size also has remained pretty consistent over the past few years, after a pretty good run-up in the 90s.

Here I disagree. 99% of what an individual gets out of the hobby isn't from NAR or TRA, but the local club. National membership numbers mean nothing. Join whatever local clubs you fly with.
For a national club, look at magazine (or lack thereof), insurance coverage (everywhere, vs sanctioned events only), competition, and other needed benefits and services. Here I think that the NAR comes out on top, unless you want to fly EX, in which case your best choice is probably "something else".
Bob Kaplow wrote:

    Amen. They're the ones who provide the opportunities to fly, to learn, and to have fun, and they're the ones who determine how safe your launches are. That's also the level at which most rocketeers can make "pay it forward" kinds of contributions to the hobby, by helping new rocketeers and participating in outreach programs.
Bob Kaplow wrote:

<snip>
:)
Or, its like the guy who drowned while crossing a creek which had an average depth of 4 inches.
Gotta be careful when looking at crunched numbers.
--
Gary Bolles

summum jus, summa injuria est
Bob Kaplow wrote:

You hit the nail on the head with that one.
For the national org, if your local club is NAR, join NAR. If your local club is TRA, join TRA. Unless, of course, you want to engage in something that one doesn't support, but the other does.
Regardless, any NAR Section worth a damn will accept a TRA member with open arms, and any TRA Prefecture worth a damn will accept a NAR member with open arms.
-Kevin
Bob Kaplow wrote:

I didn't even think about it until today, but to give you an idea of just how much it matters...
When we do our annual booth at the Offutt AFB Air Show, national organizations never come up, unless someone asks.
Why?
Because it doesn't matter. We're there to encourage folks to get involved with rocketry.
-Kevin

<snipped unrelated agreement>

I don't agree that you disagree with what I said. I referred to the poll-taker's "choose only one" test of numbers to see who people would pick, not what they "get out of the hobby".
I doesn't really sound like you disagreed at all, for I agree on what you said after you said, "Here I disagree."
So is it not agreeable to agree that that we generally agree? <g>
Seriously though, as it may be that most enjoy the club scene, I enjoy most teaching others model rocketry; such as that in Boy Scouts, friends and neighbors, which gives more satisfaction per hour and dollar and (most importantly) TIME, than the occasional larger model shoot with the club. By saying this I do not intend any nay-saying of club-based hobby activity, I STRONGLY recommend it. I personally get more enjoyment from teaching and launching the smaller stuff, due mostly to the smiles of the young people involved. Sure the big stuff is the "WOW!" factor of the hobby, but 99% of all hobby flights world wide has always been D and below, and probably 25% of those larger are done "don't ask, don't tell, and don't start any fires" style... but then again, those numbers represent my perception of the world and not necessarily reality.
~ Duane Phillips.