Rocketry in Australia

Maybe your group is going ok, but the rest of the country is not. Take a look around...almost all the clubs have died for one reason or another. I keep getting email from people asking me if there is a club in their state and I am always being asked about the status of NSWRA or the SA Hiflyte club (because the web masters of thoes clubs are too lazy to post a quarterly update). Not one single club other than TRA has responded to any of my emails asking about their status. I am still waiting for info from your very own WA prefect...What are people supposed to think? Anyone trying to get into mid power rocketry might as well not bother...no active clubs, no rockets, ground support or motors in the hobby shops...only 2 or 3 shops in the country that can even sell AP motors...yes, stagnant.

Well thats great news! Why don't they tell people what's going on? Maybe other will chip in and see if they can help? If you are sugesting I am not being -positive- then you are missing the point. I am -trying- to get people together, get people talking and provide the means for the aussie rocketry community to communicate. Like it or not, Tripoli Aust isn't doing that. No one is.

Yes, that puts people off....but when I think about it, I dont think it's all that hard at all - ok, it's not very convienient, but the paperwork is easy, the fees are reasonable - it's just a matter of doing it. State laws confuse things though. And HPR? Well, I don't think I'll even bother.

Now go and have a look at your web site...1 single page with ZERO useful info. Some launch dates and a link to the Triploi site. Next to usless. Thats not just my opinion either - I've had to listen to a few people complain to me about it (like I can do anything about it).

That is why the PARC site is nothing like any other rocket site in Aust. I built it based on the info that -I- was looking for as a newbie. Stuff people want to know. People have given me feedback and the site has been improved by that feedback.

I'm not big noting the PARC site, I am trying to make the point that your web site does not meet the requirements of aussie rocketeers and that comes directly from people who have been there and been in contact with me. For experts flying HPR, it's all basic old stuff but newbies need info and they want you to provide it. They want to ask an aussie questions. How do I get to fly G - I motors? Where can I get this? How do you do that? etc.

Thats the same for everyone. I know that. You know that. But TRA just make the assumption that newbies know that. Put that info on your web site. Newbies = new members = growth.

Speedy recovery David. You use aerotech propellant? Is there still a supply problem from the Sates? Or is it just Dawn Trading causing the problems?

I have 14 dates - mostly because I am playing roulette with the weather. I have a launch this sunday (which is the only day for the next 10 days that they forcast bad weather).

Thats why the email address on my post is a spam account ;-) It is not the one I use for everyday email.

I am not sledging you. I am pointing out some things you should be aware of. Things that have frustraded me and continue to frustrate others. If you dont want to do anything about it - fine - I dont care one way or another. It's your club and I doubt I will ever have anything to do with an American org anyway. And really, TRA has nothing to do with my original post. If you dont think Australian rocketry is in any sort of trouble, then you should look beyond the confines of your club. You might be fine - the rest of the country is not.

I am just trying to get aussies talking to each other.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
Impakt

WallaceF

I wonder how BIG the FINES are down under...........

Reply to
Phil Stein

Facts of law just confuse Jerry. It's much more convenient for him to blame everything on his favorite whipping boy, TRA.

Reply to
raydunakin

How will the legislative-regulatory challenges in Australia be overcome by "positive attitudes"?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

He got his.

He flies in the USA.

He sources directly from the USA with special import permissions but does not further assist the rocketeers generally in doing so.

He got his.

Great idea.

Put an extra carriage return before each comment you make.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

What is your source for this information? I know you and David aren't exactly drinking buddies.

Reply to
Phil Stein

I'm sure it's more effective than your negativity and TRA-bashing.

raydunakin

Say what? David lives and flies in AU, not USA.

Do you?

Reply to
raydunakin

Already have been on more than one occasion.

Reply to
David Wilkins

Yes I do fly in the USA but havent done so since 2001 due to the current regulations.

I do provide assistance to others who chose to import legally, and there is one other who has done so legally, but the costs in shipping can be prohibitive for hazmat items. (its just hard to get a carrier to get it here) let alone a custom agent that runs at the first mention of Hazmat.

Now will I help those sensible folks, I have done so and have through calm and professional approaches secured change. When the Dept. Of Justice here classified ALL HPR kits (and I am talking about PML, LOC etc not propellant) as weapons I with assistance of others here in AU and the USA achieved a common sense outcome and the flyers shipment of

The Aussies do talk, problem is in AU it was until the founders of TRA Australia started was a divisive state based view of the world.

TRA Australia has always taken a national approach and treated those who chose to follow other organizations with respect as fellow flyers, even when they "borrow" the certification processes verbatim from the TRA website.

Western Australia has especially suffered from severe infighting over the last 5 years and I do hope it eventually settles down and the folks there focus on what matters flying rockets. I will as always remain open to providing assistance if asked. But I have to say WA is a touch like Kalifornia they have to do it their way.

David Wilkins Tripoli Australia - TRA # 6593 L3 TAP/TRA IT Chair

Reply to
David Wilkins

Not implying anything, simply pointing out that we have managed to achieve with CASA and working within the regulations. The CASA regulations are federal and apply equally across the country your posts make it appear otherwise.

Quite often its about airways location, and how to work with the local flying inspector for CASA.

I have written a number of articles for Air Services own newsletter at their request to better inform the controllers as to what are activities encompass.

You just sounded frustrated by the regulations and I was pointing out that in a co-operative approach you can achieve a great deal.

While there is one person flying rockets here its still alive and has the potential to grow.

Regards

David Wilkins Tripoli Australia - TRA #6593 L3 TAP/TRA IT Chair

Reply to
David Wilkins

As I simply said.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I guess it just depends on the individual you deal with at CASA and the mood they are in.

Good stuff.

Not frustrated, I just think CASA are overly protective of our sparsely used airspace. OK, in the suburbs or near flight paths things are different, but out here in the sticks???

Well thats what I am about..letting people know that this hobby is for real and its a great thing to get involved with (well, it would be if there were any motors in the country). I think you guys are the only ones left with anything bigger than an F.

Regards

Paul.

Reply to
Impakt

With all due respect, why dont you guys start a new thread? The word V Jerry. This doesn't have much to do with rocketry in Australia....

Just a sugestion...

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
Impakt

That was before my time and the main cause of the problems has left (and we was a real piece of work - I had the misfortune to meet him once - Rob Masters). The main thing that caused PARC problems was moving from the suburbs to the country so we could fly higher (at least, thats what I've been told). The problem with PARC now is that no one is being pro active about getting people to join the club.

The problem with rocketry in Australia now is Dawn Trading (I dont think I need to repeat that).

Well I cant ask for any assistance for the club because I am just a lowly member. And the only assistance we need is a supply of motors and one or two members to do some things to increase the membership. I would tackel the membership thing if I didn't live so far away.

Still waiting to hear from your WA prefect. I'll give him a week then I will put TRA WA out of my mind.

Regards

Paul.

Reply to
Impakt

Ha Ha Ha.........how long have you been watching? :-) Jerry works his way into most posts and has his admirers.

Don't worry. Provides entertainment for some, nightmares for others. This happens all the time and if you can hack it, does provide somewhat un-helpful humour. :-)

Clint

Reply to
CJC

You are going to make yourself a target of Ray, Phil, Fred and "Dave" by posting such herecy.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

One person :)

I have proposed to Defence that a provision should be made for a range of increrased consumer-educational rocketry. They indicated they would likely be the ones to "push" any legislative changes needed to allow it.

They suggested the clubs form a proposal.

That's where it stopped, unless I unilaterally did it myself.

  1. the club system in OZ is small and weak
  2. There is plenty of infighting among the few
  3. There is a lack of the "vision thing" since there are so few motors CURRENTLY available.

I for one stand ready to assist.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Here come dem "model airplane parts"... (:-)

Reply to
WallaceF