AccMin wish list

By the way, Italeri has the Havoc/Boston molds and will continue producing the kits. Maybe they'll appear in Revell Germany boxes too.

Stephen Bierce

Reply to
Stephen FPilot Bierce

And end up with another kit where 80% of the tooling ends up being hidden?

I like the AMT A-20s just fine and don't see the need for another kit

Reply to
Jonathan M

Please be more careful of your attributions, Jonathan. I didn't write that - I believe it was actually Mark Schynert's reply to my comment.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I'm still waiting for someone to do "Napalm Nellie" or "Iron Butterfly" (AP-2Hs) in 1/48 scale.

Come ON Accurate Miniatures or Trumpeter; what's the matter, no cojones? ;~)

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Didn't ID models do a vac 1/48 Neptune? You could always convert that. Unless *you* don't have any cojones...... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

What do I think AM should do? Hmm......

World War II is pretty much kitted-out. An updated P-61 would be nice, and the early P-40 would be most welcome, but there just isn't much left to do. Probably the biggest lack is a K-class blimp. I'd buy one, if nobody else.

The Golden Age has a lot more to recommend it. A nice Bristol Bulldog, perhaps, or a Gloster Gauntlet. I don't know about anyone else, but I would jump at a Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk.

Jets? I'd do a Grumman F9F Cougar (the swept-wing plane) or an F11F Tiger. Maybe a Supermarine Scimitar or a DeHavilland Sea Vixen (drool). I personally would buy a 1/72 F8U-3 or a 1/144 B-70, but I'm not sure if they would be big sellers.

However, I really think the best option may be World War I. The World War I centennial is coming up, and there will be a lot of interest in early military aviation. I could see a Junkers D-9 or CL-1, but my REAL preference would be to cut completely against the grain - to a Zeppelin, probably in 1/700 scale. Then follow with 1/700 scale dreadnoughts - you've got the whole market to yourself.

V/R: Mike McDaniel

Reply to
HMS Lion

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.mil.nav (Disco -- FlyNavy) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m18.aol.com:

The lower wing is to low. It sits on the bottom of the fuselage. The one I rode in and the pictures I have say the wing should be abovethe bottom of the fuselage.

How do I say this? The fuse is round in cross section. The wing passes through the fuse about 1/4 or less of the way up. There is a noticeable rounded section below the wing. I just built it up with putty nut never finished it.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I don't know about anyone else, but I would

I'd do a Grumman F9F Cougar (the swept-wing plane)

That sounds familiar. :) As far as the XB-70... well, ask AMT...

Maybe, but there's always "all that rigging." The F3F is one thing... something that's half tension wires, though? Besides, Eduard and others have been doing nice WWI kits for a while now...

Reply to
EGMcCann

Anything prior to 1939 is unlikely to be profitable, as is anything that is huge and not a combat plane. WWI has very few builders compared with WWII and postwar, and the interwar stuff is really rarely built. (I'm almost speaking against interest, since I like a lot of the stuff from

1930-39, but it's probably the smallest aviation market by time period, except for the dawn of flight.) And while 1/700 Zeps and ships might be cool, the company has focused on 1/48 aircraft; that's where whatever good will they have is to be found. They ought to take a cue from Classic Airframes, which has concentrated on stuff that will sell out quickly, like Whirlwinds and Blenheims. The difference is, AM would make a better kit, and maybe that means they have to sell more to catch up on the start-up costs for each mold, but it's worth considering.

The F9F and F11F are sound suggestions. Has anyone done a really good F7U in 1/48?

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Yep.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

You must be joking.

No one makes an injected Avro Anson, Blackburn Skua, Fairey Albacore and Fulmar, Handley Page Hampden and Halifax in 1/48. A first class tool of subjects produced by the limited run companies, ( Defiant, Whirlwind, Battle,Blenheim etc) would be nice. A 1/48 Vickers Wellington is also conspicuous by it's absence, but we're told that Trumpeter is about to issue one. Trumpeter BTW is supposed to be issuing a 1/48 P-40B, in addition to the 1/32 kit. There is a dearth of 1/48 French, and Italian subjects by the major companies. A Tamiya quality Fokker DXXI, and Fiat CR42 would be nice. Then there are important German subjects which haven't been touched by major companies. Arado 196, Heinkel 177,Henschel 126, Focke Wulf 189 and 200 (though the latter is promised by Trumpeter). How about La 5s, Yak 9s, and a decent Pe 2 ? 1/48 Frances, Helen, Lilly, Nell, or Peggy? These were all important. or significant aircraft, and they've been largely ignored in 1/48. Kitted Out ???!!! PT

P.S. AMtech has a new tool 1/48 P-61 on the way. It should be about as successful as AMs B-25s were.

Reply to
Giessenlad

Ouch.....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Battle,Blenheim

Defiant: Released (and redone, then re-released (?) by Classic Airframes. Same with the Blenheim and Whirlwind.)

. Arado 196, Heinkel 177,Henschel 126, Focke

Thought the 177 was done in 1/72. The 126, IIRC, was done by Condor, but not very well.

How about La 5s,

PE - 2 - MPM?

Wouldn't hold my breath on these in 1/48. I'm surprised Tamiya did the Betty before, actually.

Reply to
EGMcCann

If you can manage a little bigger kits than 1:48 Williams Bros. makes a nice Sparrowhawk in 1:32 - not exactly AM standard, but not AM prices either. Builds up into a nice little bird, and I really enjoyed building mine.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

Perhaps not when it comes to vacs, Al. While I've done a couple, I really don't enjoy building vacs all that much. Just call me "Mr Kit Assembler." ;~)

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I don't know what they should do that would be profitable for them. Everytime someone goes and does one of these "they should make" threads people all chime in. They should make this or that, but however what you would like to see and think would sell might not do well at all. I like looking through old Fine Scale Modelers and seeing the most wanted kit surveys. I note that a survey from 10 years ago for 1/48 aircraft shows all have been done save one or two. Then I get a kick out of going to shows and noticing I hardly ever see any of these most wanted kits built and displayed. Where are all the HE-111's, Catalinas, Do-217's, AM B-25's, AMT A-20's etc. Makes me believe that we must all be kit collectors cause I never see more than one or two of the "Most Wanted" ever built. Either that or none of these kits gives the model producer back their investment.

AMTech is doing the P-61/F-15 and (drool) XP-40Q. Those I will buy! Italeri is rereleasing the AMT A-20 series. ( They should sell as well as they did for AMT!) These I won't buy because I have several of these in the collection that were acquired for 9.99 or less at Big Lots or KB Toy Liquidators. Hell if they did so well for AMT why could I buy two @ 15.00 during KB sales? Anyway my point is that will anything be a sales success anymore? Maybe the way to go is the true short run kit ala Classic Airframes.

Now I would like to see these and bear in mind they probably would not make any kit manufacturer any money.

  1. P-80
  2. P-6E (missed the CA kit)
  3. Schneider Cup Racers like the Supermarines and Macchis and Curtiss' planes.
  4. Sea Vixen
  5. P-40B
  6. The Vietnam era conversions of the P-51 and (A)B-26
  7. The Martian War Machine from Pal's War of the Worlds :-))

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

I have to agree that you never see many of these "I wants" built. Check out our club website:

So far most of the aircraft are mine (I am the club webmaster) but you will see many of the kits you mention built! I don't build for contests but for the reason this hobby was created -- my enjoyment.

Now if I just had a better camera.

Reply to
Wildcat

- primarily because Monogram could rerelease *theirs* at $10-$15 and undercut....

-Eh, buy the Lindberg kit. Use the savings for the bottles of asprin...

Testors. (Ducking)

Reply to
EGMcCann

Read above. First class tool. As in Accurate Minatures quality. That was I thought, the premise of this thread. CA has reissued the Whirlwind and Blenheim. They aren't that bad, but they sure aren't AM or Tamiya quality. They have promised a new tool Defiant (the original was a poor rendition) but it hasn't appeared yet, and isn't on their latest list of upcoming issues. Add the Tempest to the British section, the Eduard kit is pretty poor.

Again, an "AccMin Wish List". I presumed we were talking 1/48 only. I don't believe they ever issued any 1/72 kits, though they promised a scaled down Sturmovik at one time. I think that went the way of their Beaufighter. I would have loved to have seen a scaled down F3F instead.

Not bad, but CA quality, not AM or Tamiya.

Oh, I'm not holding my breath, but hey, this is a wish list. Actually I left off the the most important absent Japanese twin, the Sally. In my more delusional moments, I pretend that Hasegawa hasn't issued one in 1/72 because they know that Tamiya is planning to produce it in 1/48, and will release a scaled down version as well. PT

Reply to
Giessenlad

My wish would be a 1/32 or 1/48th scale PT-17.

Reply to
Stanley Parker